right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Has COVID spoiled your campus visit plans? Meet with 50+ schools at our virtual college fair College Fair tomorrow, Sept. 29! Register NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Whitman - how liberal?

mczchlmczchl 26 replies6 threads Junior Member
edited August 24 in Whitman College
I was very interested in Whitman until I learned about its liberal political reputation. Being a relatively conservative student, I am worried that it is not the place for me.

To what extent is Whitman liberal? Are there a good mix of conservatives on campus? Can different political opinions be freely discussed?

Thanks!
edited August 24
5 replies
Post edited by CCAdmin_Vic on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Whitman - how liberal?

• bopambobopambo 1264 replies58 threads Senior Member
    It is pretty liberal, however ,Whitties are usually nice so I don't think you would be an outcast, but you will probably be outnumbered. If you can, try to visit, you may love it anyway.
    · Reply · Share
  • mczchlmczchl 26 replies6 threads Junior Member
    @bopambo - Thanks, that is helpful. I will definitely try to visit.
    · Reply · Share
  • kalonskalons 635 replies21 threads Member
    i mean, walla walla leans more conservative, but whitman—along with most liberal arts colleges—will lean more liberal. to what extent, though, I'm not sure.

schools known for their political diversity/moderate-to-conservative student bodies:
    claremont mckenna, washington and lee, trinity college (ct), sewanee, union (ny), bucknell, richmond, denison, wabash (if you're a man), wheaton, + maybe rhodes, centre, and davidson. all are fantastic schools.

schools at which i definitely do not think you'd be happy: reed, oberlin, grinnell, basically all of the women's colleges (if you're a woman), macalester, and vassar. all are fantastic as well, but all are exceptionally liberal, and a conservative student would struggle.

if your brand of conservatism focuses on issues like believing the u.s. should increase spending on the military rather than on issues like believing same-sex marriage is wrong, then your choice of schools widens. if your brand of conservatism focuses on believing both of those things, well... the latter is a minority opinion in general (https://news.gallup.com/poll/311672/support-sex-marriage-matches-record-high.aspx), especially among young people, so you'd be out of luck at most schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • mczchlmczchl 26 replies6 threads Junior Member
    @kalons - Thanks so much for all the examples.
    · Reply · Share
  • kalonskalons 635 replies21 threads Member
    no problem. if you're someone who is staunchly conservative, hillsdale college is also an option, but it is much more conservative than all the others i listed.

i would break it up like this:

— schools that are right: hillsdale, wheaton, wabash, and hampden-sydney (newly added for if you are male)
    — schools that are neither right nor right of center (aka in the middle of the two): trinity
    — schools that are right of center: sewanee, union, bucknell, washington and lee, and richmond
    — schools that are pretty evenly split: claremont mckenna, davidson, rhodes, centre, and denison
    · Reply · Share