Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

2016 Windows on Wiliams (WOW) Discussion

Replies to: 2016 Windows on Wiliams (WOW) Discussion

• long2181998long2181998 Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    @drakefan "We understand that some students may be coordinating this trip with a visit to another institution. If you have been accepted to a similar program at another college and the dates for that program conflict with WOW, please email Pam Shea immediately after you submit your registration form so that we can work with that institution to coordinate your travel. Please be sure to include the other school's name and program dates in your email to Pam. "
  • drakefandrakefan Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    @long2181998 thank you! The dates overlap too much for me to go to both so when Amherst's decision comes out, I'll just pick one if needed.
  • eyrar99eyrar99 Registered User Posts: 491 Member
    edited August 2016
    @DoctorMD I have a 36 ACT, some college classes in my transcript, I don't have a class rank but I have a 3.9 UW GPA, I have 6 APs and 1 more this year (with scores of four 5s and two 4s)

I was surprised that I got in because I'm not a URM or first gen student, but I do come from a low-income, very large family.
  • Dartmouth_21Dartmouth_21 Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    @drakefan a lot of people do both in the same weekend! You could also ask amherst if you could do the october date :) i visited amherst last month and i didnt like it at all, so if i get accepted into divoh i don't think ill go
  • azcpamomazcpamom Registered User Posts: 292 Junior Member
    @Dartmouth_21, I don't think anyone would suggest that it is a completely random process, but it is difficult to tell from the data self-reported here how much weight is attached to various attributes. Of course, URM, 1st gen, low income are priorities, but after that it is hard to tell what attributes carry more weight. How does a 2.7 GPA with no EC's, no volunteer activities, but a high ACT get in? Perhaps super low income and an outstanding essay, but a 2.7 would have a difficult time at Williams.How does a student with family income of $100,000 get a fee waiver and an interview?

I don't want to take anything away from the students who got it in. Congratulations are definitely in order. It will be interesting to see if there are any similarities and/or differences with the Amherst pool.
    @azcpamom i agree, the process seems to be hollistic but its hard to tell what they valued after low income/minority. i think the fee waiver is based more on if they see you as a viable candidate for the admissions round. so, based on merit rather than income.
  • AriaM2017AriaM2017 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    edited August 2016
    @ikxyls I'll probably do the September date since October is closer to the Nov. ED deadline in addition to the unofficial start of debate/mock trial season. I can't wait to see all of you guys there! :D
  • drakefandrakefan Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    @Dartmouth_21 Thanks a bunch! I'm attending the fly-in at Wellesley so the October date is a no-go but I'll look in to attending both on the same weekend :)
  • long2181998long2181998 Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    Anyone know if putting this on College Application will help?
    They call us WOW scholars but idk :P itll probably only help for williams
  • StuDYING4CollegeStuDYING4College Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    edited August 2016
    @azcpamom take the 2.5 gpa 35 act post with a grain of salt; that is literally their only post, making the source unreliable to be honest.
  • swarthmore_21?swarthmore_21? Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    edited August 2016
    @StuDYING4College we should also consider that the WoW application didn't consider the "no extracurriculars" and "no volunteer hours" that the student also mentioned. Those who did get accepted can hope that this specific case will fall into the10-15% of students who won't turn a WoW admission into a fall admission.
  • starry dreamerstarry dreamer Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I wonder if the 2.5 GPA 35 ACT applicant had better grades in his or her sophomore/junior years that made up for deficient freshmen grades.
  • NickJtFly5NickJtFly5 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Anyone here from Chicago get in? I'm doing the September date, and I'm super excited! Congrats to those who were accepted, and I'm sorry to hear about those who didn't (more than confident you'll get into another one).
  • StuDYING4CollegeStuDYING4College Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    @NickJtFly5 I'm from chicago and also doing the september date!