Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I chose Williams College over _____ ?

williams2021williams2021 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
edited May 19 in Williams College
Saw this post in the past for a few other schools and so I just want to see what did you guys choose Williams over? This will also helps people to see that unis are not necessarily better than LACs or vice versa.

Personally, I chose Williams over Dartmouth, Swarthmore, Middlebury, Colby, Hamilton, and UF even though it tied with Dartmouth as the second most expensive option(Swarthmore was the most expensive).

I chose Williams over Dartmouth because Dartmouth put way too much emphasis on frat and drinking. Dartmouth's diversity is also lacking a social-economic balance(I am not rich) and so I feel like like I would not be as welcomed as at Williams.

I chose Williams over Swarthmore because Swarthmore is $6k more expensive /year and it also places too much emphasis on going to grad school.

I chose Williams over Middlebury, Colby, and Hamilton because they are all similar to Williams yet weaker in prestige as well as in my field(economics.) Harder to get into wallstreet from those places than from Williams

Replies to: I chose Williams College over _____ ?

• TheGreyKingTheGreyKing Registered User Posts: 870 Member
    edited May 19
    I am in my forties now, but once upon a time, I chose Williams over Amherst, Eckerd, Swarthmore and Wellesley.
  • SwimDad99SwimDad99 Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    Son was a recruited swimmer and picked Williams over Dartmouth, Middlebury, Pomona, Chicago, Washington (St. Louis), Amherst, Bowdoin, Kenyon, and Johns Hopkins.
  • LAox98LAox98 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    I choose Williams over....NYU, USC, UCLA, (all the UCs except Berkely), U of M ann arbor, Saint Johns, and local colleges accepted to.
  • AndrewBurritoAndrewBurrito Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I chose Williams over Vassar, Colgate, Uconn, and UVM (no brainer, I know).