right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Ask any questions about Williams here!

writingpumpkin03writingpumpkin03 157 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Hey, all! I'm a prefrosh who'll be attending Williams in the fall. I thought I could make a thread where Williams students and alumni could respond to any questions that prospective high school students on CC had about the College. This could be a helpful resource for an applicant who can't tour the college, and it can provide an honest perspective about the College that goes beyond marketing material. Ask away :)
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Ask any questions about Williams here!

• TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2153 replies101 threadsForum Champion Williams College Forum Champion
    @johnstitt’s question can be addressed by posters through the other thread to which he provided a link, as opposed to in this thread, which can focus instead on various other questions potential applicants may have about Williams.
    · Reply · Share
  • johnstittjohnstitt 3 replies3 threadsRegistered User New Member
    edited June 23
    my bad, sorry!

Legit question: Does Williams sometimes feel too small, especially for people who came from public schools?
    edited June 23
    · Reply · Share
  • writingpumpkin03writingpumpkin03 157 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @johnstitt I think it depends on whether or not you're looking for a small and personalized college experience. Personally, I would have been totally lost going to a bigger university, but many people appreciate the anonymity.
    · Reply · Share
  • BizbreakBizbreak 2 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Hi there - I am a Williams alum (class of '06) who attended from a large-ish public school in the Washington D.C. suburbs. I was a little worried both about the size of the college and the remoteness of the location. Ended up loving both. The community felt a little small by senior year, but it also felt like such a blessing to have been surrounded by such amazing people for four years. And the setting ended up being a blessing as well. When there's little else to do, people have fun with one another and build a very tight-knit community. Williams changed my life in so many ways and I will be a loyal Eph forever!
    · Reply · Share
  • oldschooldadoldschooldad 129 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    How much does the school embrace the outdoors? If an applicant has a track record of wilderness experience (plus the academic qualifications, obviously), is that a good way to articulate a match with Williams? Will that resonate with Eph ethos?
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1483 replies14 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    How do students (and visiting parents) get to and from Williams? Even though I do see the bucolic location to be a plus, getting to it, esp during the brutal winter months, seem to be a hardship. We flew to Albany then drove to Williamstown and drove to Boston, flew out when we toured Williams. Doable, but any other options?
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2153 replies101 threadsForum Champion Williams College Forum Champion
    @makemesmart- At the students’ vacation times, even the shorter ones, there are buses that the students can take, to the airport in Albany or to Boston or to New York City. My son has taken the Williams College bus to and from Penn Station in NYC and it was very manageable.

There is no way around it, though- Williamstown is remote, and when you choose it in part for its purple mountains majesty, you realize there is a trade-off involved in travel time, particularly if you are flying in from another country or region of the USA as opposed to having a four or five hour drive from somewhere on the east coast. Lots of students come from other parts of the USA or other nations, however, so there will be a number of other students adjusting to the same challenges with you.

@oldschooldad - All extracurricular activities will help develop the school’s picture of your child’s commitment and accomplishments. I would not say there is any evidence that some are more favored than others. However, you may be right that an enjoyment of the outdoors is a good match for Williams in that someone who enjoys the outdoors may prefer Williams over some of the nearer-a-city alternatives like Swarthmore or Haverford that rural-averse applicants may prefer. Once accepted, your child might enjoy the Outing Club, the WOOLF orientation program option for entering freshmen, Mountain Day, Friday morning sunrise hikes, environmental science classes that take advantage of the location, skiing or snowboarding or hiking options in PE classes, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • writingpumpkin03writingpumpkin03 157 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @oldschooldad The school is very outdoorsy, and I think that an applicant who loves the outdoors would fit in well there. However, I'm only a student, so I don't know what that might mean for admissions. At the very least, it can't hurt :)
    @makemesmart I live a driving distance away from the college and my parents are used to New England winters, so it hasn't been an issue for me. It seems like most people fly into Albany and take a bus/shuttle to Williamstown.
    · Reply · Share