right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Support

lemony21lemony21 16 replies6 threads Junior Member
edited July 2019 in Williams College
I am currently being recruited by Williams for track and field, and I have had a phone call with the recruiting coach. I am now currently getting a pre-read there. My only worry is that my GPA is a bit under their average. My SAT is 1560 and my times for sprints as a junior are within capable of scoring. Will my GPA completely diminish my chances of getting support, and if not, how much of a chance would you think I have? On another note, do runners only capable of scoring get guaranteed admission? It would be really helpful if someone knows who they usually choose to grant the “slots” to. Thanks in advance
edited July 2019
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Support

• TennisParentTennisParent 235 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Regarding the GPA question, it generally depends on the difficulty of the classes (have you taken the highest level of honor or AP classes for example) and also the academic profile of the students in your school generally. So a low GPA will viewed in the context of the school setting generally, it would generally not be a bar assuming you have other strengths.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 6081 replies97 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    My only worry is that my GPA is a bit under their average. My SAT is 1560 and my times for sprints as a junior are within capable of scoring. Will my GPA completely diminish my chances of getting support, and if not, how much of a chance would you think I have?

Only the coach will be able to answer this once admissions does the pre-read, it is 100% out of your control. Admissions will look at your courses, the rigor of curriculum and your grades, all in context of your high school. The good news is you should know the results soon....did the coach give you a time frame?
    On another note, do runners only capable of scoring get guaranteed admission?

The coach likely has two slots, and will probably use them on athletes that fill team needs.....yes these recruits are highly likely to be accepted, if pre-read was positive. You will need to clearly understand what the coach is offering, if and when you get to that point....is it a slot/Full Support? Or something else?

It is appropriate to ask questions, regardless of the terminology the coach uses....ask things like what proportion of recruits that you have offered this support to are ultimately accepted? Do I have to apply ED in exchange for said support? What are the next steps? Good luck, keep us updated.
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • lemony21lemony21 16 replies6 threads Junior Member
    Thanks! I’ll be sure to keep that in mind and ask questions.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity