right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Simmons Supplement: 3 books

xnamelessxxnamelessx 334 replies40 threads Member
edited November 2010 in Women's Colleges
how did you write that? my first draft is basically just three paragraphs, each saying why i really liked the book i chose. do i need to compare them with each other, like say why i liked the one better than the other?
edited November 2010
4 replies
Post edited by xnamelessx on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Simmons Supplement: 3 books

• xnamelessxxnamelessx 334 replies40 threads Member
    also: since i am applying from a school in germany, most of the books on my list are german classics and i'm not sure if the admission officers are familiar with them (The Sandman by E.T.A Hoffmann and All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque). should i write a short summary of each book (I mean really short, like 2-3 sentences)?
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 31002 replies199 threads Senior Member
    They are likely to be familiar with the German classics, but it is OK for you to include a short summary.
    · Reply · Share
  • SmithieandProudSmithieandProud 3012 replies26 threads Senior Member
    I think a one sentence summary would not be a bad idea, even though they are likely to be familiar with it. For example you could say "All Quiet on the Western Front, Remarque's recounting of the horrors of World War I." And not say more than that. They'll be familiar with Hoffman, but maybe not with that particular story, so again "The Sandman, by ETA Hoffman. A story of blah blah blah". Sorry I don't know anything about the supplement so no guidance beyond that.
    · Reply · Share
  • CrewDadCrewDad 1697 replies24 threads Senior Member
    Admissions will or should be familiar with E.T.A Hoffman. The eminent Nutcracker ballet is based on his book The Nutcracker and the Mouse King.

Otoh-S&P makes a valid point. Unless a Lit major, the admission officer reading your application might not be familiar with The Sandman

I can't imagine admissions not knowing of Remarque either. All Quiet on the Western Front is required reading in many US high schools.

The numerous Oscar winning movie All Quiet on the Western Front is based on his book. Okay, it's a guy flick and you're applying to a women's college with presumably women admission officers, still..............

Remarque wrote numerous best sellers while living in the US, where he also became a citizen. Arch of Triumph is one of many internationally renown novels.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity