right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

Women's college for science major

wannabegeniouswannabegenious 203 replies36 threads Junior Member
edited July 2012 in Women's Colleges
I posted this in another category but didn't get a response. I would like to know which college is better for a major in general biology (most likely) or general chemistry, and a minor in biochemistry or english writing. I am interested in Mount Holyoke and Wellseley.

I have heard it said that Mount Holyoke is better for science and Wellseley is better for social science but I don't know enough to swear by it. Could someone help clarify?

Any advice/info is much appreciated. Thank you very much.
edited July 2012
3 replies
Post edited by wannabegenious on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Women's college for science major

• Mariecc1Mariecc1 168 replies15 threads Junior Member
    I'm a Wellesley student, so I can't really speak to the merits of Mt. Holyoke. However, Wellesley has a large science center with lots of high-tech equipment. Many students majoring in the sciences end up doing research alongside professors during the school year or summer (sometimes both). There's also cross-registration with MIT, so if a course you'd like to take isn't available at Wellesley, you can take it at MIT.

With regards to grad school, ~66% of Wellesley students are accepted to their first choice program. ~70% of student who apply to medical school are accepted (compared to the national average of 45%). To summarize, there are tons of opportunities in the sciences for Wellesley women. I'd encourage you to check out the course catalogue (Course Catalog | Wellesley College - Wellesley College) and come for an overnight visit during the school year, if possible.

Let me know if you have any questions! :) I hope someone from Mt. Holyoke gives you information on her school.
    · Reply · Share
  • wannabegeniouswannabegenious 203 replies36 threads Junior Member
    Thank you very much! That definitely helped!
    · Reply · Share
  • MADadMADad 2106 replies82 threads Senior Member
    MHC has new science facilities. Their percentage of science majors getting into grad school programs is crazy high. Couple that with the resources of the Five College consortium.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity