right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

life without boys

becks13becks13 10 replies6 threads New Member
edited September 2012 in Women's Colleges
how is life at an all girls college? i'm planning to apply to one, but i'm a bit worried about there being no boys at all. i know we can go party on the weekends where we will meet some, but how is it on the campus, dorms, classes etc. more comfortable or boring?
edited September 2012
6 replies
Post edited by becks13 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: life without boys

• englishivyenglishivy 347 replies25 threads Member
    This entirely depends on which college you apply to. Some women's colleges have more fluidity with their proximity and shared programs with co-ed schools, like Bryn Mawr and Barnard, but some are more isolated. It really varies.
    · Reply · Share
  • PriscillaCCPriscillaCC 23 replies1 threads New Member
    One of the reasons I chose Wellesley is because it's in Boston. If you're worried about meeting guys at an all-women's school, make sure you apply to ones that are in close proximity to other universities or are in busy cities. If it's REALLY important to you, Scripps is a part of the Claremont Colleges and is REALLY (I mean less than a mile) close to other co-ed colleges (Pomona, Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd, and Pitzer). I applied there but chose not to go because of the substantially less financial aid package.
    · Reply · Share
  • juanbelljuanbell 3 replies0 threads New Member
    I had my school life in girl's school..There was totally fun,enjoyment and a good environment but no boys are there to share with or enjoy with..In my opinion life without a boy is not that good as with boys..
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12857 replies165 threads Super Moderator
    "Life without boys" is a little dramatic. Women's colleges are still situated in the real world, so there are plenty of men around.

I went to a women's college that was in a consortium with a men's college and a co-ed university. I loved it. Most of our classes were all or mostly women, but our extracurriculars were split: some were my college-only clubs and mostly or all women, whereas others were shared across with the men's college and therefore co-ed. The residence halls were all women and I LOVED that. It was like a never-ending slumber party. I also liked being in all women's classes a lot; it definitely wasn't boring, and was usually more comfortable. I also loved being on a campus where ALL of the student leaders are women. You get used to the idea of women in leadership roles and begin to think of yourself as a leader, too.

Personally, I think the more a person thinks that life without men is not fun or boring, the more they probably SHOULD go to a women's college, lol.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJSueNJSue 3093 replies18 threads Senior Member
    If you feel, consciously or unconsciously, that "real" social life must take place with boys, or if you need male company to feel validated, then women's colleges are probably not for you. It is important to be honest here; I'm not saying this to be dismissive of your concerns. I went to a women's college and my D goes to one now. It is a wonderful experience, but it is not for everyone.

If you apply to a women's college and are accepted, you should definitely visit overnight to see how you react to the environment. They are not convents, but easy, daily interaction with boys is not on the menu at most.
    · Reply · Share
  • Carla2012Carla2012 257 replies9 threads Junior Member
    For me, life "without boys" meant that I could relax. I could roll out of bed, throw on whatever, and get breakfast. I could go to class in something comfortable, no need for good jeans or makeup. I could focus on the class and the teacher and the material being taught, without the side action of flirting or worrying what the cute guy thought about what I said. The other women tend to be nicer, more supportive and better friends without men around. There is fun, laughter and comraderie and it is not boring.

However, it does mean that much of your social life takes place off campus. when you meet a guy, you might go on an actual date - as opposed to just sleeping with the guy down the hall. And if you are really ambitious- you can date a guy at MIT, a guy at Havard Law and a guy at Harvard business and none of them will be aware that you are dating the others.

I guess it just depends on what "boring" means to you.

I frankly found the social life at my top 5 law school after Wellesley much more limited than the options I had in college. I also found the class experience distracting with all the social ineractions taking place. For me, it was better keeping my academics separate from my social life.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity