right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Reputation of Chatham

MagdalenMagdalen 4 replies6 threads New Member
Hi!

I’m deciding between Bard and Chatham and I know Chatham isn’t a women’s college anymore, but it is only recently co-ed. Is Chatham’s reputation something I should consider in comparison to Bard? Like, is it considered a school for local girls to go to after high school or is it actually respected in academia? Thanks!

(Also, I know Bard is very much not a women’s college, I am not comparing the two on that factor.)
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Reputation of Chatham

• ACollegeHopeful3ACollegeHopeful3 448 replies11 threads Member
    i can't offer you much of a comparison but i live relatively near chatham and it isn't as widely thought about or respected as other colleges in pittsburgh from what i can gather. bard seems to have a better reputation, but i would consider what you want your college life to be, how good the schools are in your prospective major, and financials over reputation personally.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 6939 replies172 threads Senior Member
    I can’t comment on the school other than squirrel hill and shady side are beautiful places to live. Parks beautiful homes and access to a fun and safe city.
    · Reply · Share
  • MHCstudent101MHCstudent101 9 replies0 threads New Member
    I think Bard College has a much better reputation and name than Chatham. Don't know any more than that about the two schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43410 replies473 threads Senior Member
    How much would each cost?
    Calculate (tuition,fees, room, board)-(grants, scholarships) =
    Are you able to pay this without parental loans? Without ANY loans even the federal loans?
    Chatham is especially well-known for its healthcare programs. Is that an area you're interested in?
    Are you rather artistic/hipster or preprofessional/focused on your future career?
    · Reply · Share
  • MagdalenMagdalen 4 replies6 threads New Member
    I haven’t been checking this thread since I posted it, sorry about that. I will say they are both equal tuition wise because of the financial aid package they offered me and I could attend without taking loans, so that is a plus for both.
    I am professional oriented and my major would be Policy.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43410 replies473 threads Senior Member
    If both would be the same price, Bard would be a better value, but it's not very preprofessional. However Chatham is more healthcare preprofessional, not policy preprofessional, so I'm not sure it'd be a better fit.
    · Reply · Share
  • ConsolationConsolation 22898 replies184 threads Senior Member
    Chatham doesn't have much of a reputation these days. Bard seems like a somewhat odd choice for a student whose focus is preprofessional. Do you have other choices?
    · Reply · Share
  • undergrad2023undergrad2023 13 replies1 threads New Member
    Bard is probably better reputation-wise. As others have said, Chatham doesn't really have a rep.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity