right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What are some perks of attending an all women's college?

Almostout2k19Almostout2k19 36 replies2 postsRegistered User Junior Member
I just wanted to know what the pros and cons were verses attending a co-ed college? What does the future of all women's colleges look like?
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What are some perks of attending an all women's college?

• damon30damon30 1147 replies5 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    One advantage of a women's college is that it is easier for a student interested in a traditionally "male" field to complete a degree in that field.

Wellesley and Mount Holyoke have well-regarded CS programs: https://www.ivyachievement.com/computer-science-rankings
    It is notable that despite completely different methodology, all but two of the IvyAchievement CS Top 40 schools are in the U.S. News top 52, if they are ranked. Schools in the IvyAchievement CS Employment Top 40 not ranked by U.S. News include two co-ed liberal arts colleges (Harvey Mudd and Pomona College); women’s liberal arts colleges (Wellesley and Mount Holyoke); two state universities in California (San Jose State and Cal Poly); and two private universities in major tech hubs (Santa Clara University and Seattle University). Because these schools are not ranked by U.S. News, we believe they are overlooked by aspiring computer science applicants, especially international applicants who may be less familiar with non-flagship state schools and liberal arts colleges.

· Reply · Share
  • yauponreduxyauponredux 717 replies25 postsRegistered User Member
    To add to @Midwestmomofboys posted, women’s colleges not only develop confidence in their students, they attract confident, determined, goal-oriented students because these days, choosing a women’s college is not the typical path. Enrolling in a women’s college means a young woman is already extraordinary because she is willing to take a risk and is not completely preoccupied with what her HS friends are going to think about her choice . Studying in the company of other high-achieving women was a tremendous experience for me, and I made lifelong friendships (just spent time with two of my Hollins classmates when I was traveling halfway across the country).
    · Reply · Share
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys 3985 replies27 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 23
    I should add -- I attended my women's college because of finances -- it was my safety school for admissions and finances. I had an incredible education, had amazing opportunities to grow, and formed life long friendships.
    edited April 23
    · Reply · Share
  • HiToWaMomHiToWaMom 1383 replies16 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I cannot agree with above comments more.

At women's colleges, wherever you look, the leaders are all women --- clubs, associations, researches, committees, school government, etc. etc.

Traditionally, these roles have been assigned to male students (although it's changing).

At women's colleges, students are reminded that they can take on these leadership roles without male presence and that is a huge confidence boost whereas at co-ed schools, female students might fall into secondary/assisting roles and might take it for granted or not even question about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • SophleySophley 379 replies2 postsRegistered User Member
    I graduated from a women’s college two decades ago. On the night I moved into my dorm, I had almost a dozen guys in my dorm room from Washington and Lee University. First one on the floor to have a party. Boys will be around!

I appreciate that I had a chance to build strong lifelong friends with some very smart women. And it was nice that guys weren’t in the way of my education. I could focus fully on what I wanted Monday thru Friday at noon and then focus on fun on the weekends. Less drama. Less complications. I still had boyfriends at nearby schools but they weren’t the central focus of my life. Best yet, I found my own voice and grew in confidence because I was surrounded by strong women and leaders.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33093 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 27
    It's not just that women are the leaders, it's that men aren't usurping the leader roles, based on some inexplicable tendency to confer authority to males. When Vassar went coed, I remember reports on how quickly the balance in leadership shifted to males.

And it's not all about boys being around, on weekends or whever. Sure they are. But it's a different mindset, imo. And that can carry through life.
    edited May 27
    · Reply · Share
  • MinivanmummyMinivanmummy 1 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    I think it depends on what you are looking for. Some of the benefits of Women's colleges are obviously that there is the freedom to express yourself without having to censor what you say, for fear of retaliation from male students. As a Mills college graduate, I found that there was immense women empowerment, building of sisterhood and a solid focus on the academics.
    · Reply · Share