right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Has COVID spoiled your campus visit plans? Meet with 50+ schools at our virtual college fair College Fair tomorrow, Sept. 29! Register NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Is the ACT score that important for an international student wanting to transfer to Ivies/Stanford?

UnknownUnknown 0 replies0 threads
Hi!
I did my freshman year at the University of Geneva, Switzerland, before dropping out at the beginning of my sophomore year due to academic and personal reasons (which are explained in my Common App essay, "Why transfer").
I think my stats are acceptable for Ivies, but I have a problem with the ACT. Indeed, I am supposed to fly to the US to take it in a few days (we haven't booked the flights yet), but my score is never above 28 every time I practice.

According to my stats below, do you think I have a chance to get in (please be honest, because I dont want to lose my time and money flying abroad to take the exam if my profile is not competitive enough :))

My stats:
*GPA : we don't have that here, but my average score during freshman year of college was 5 out of 6.
*I was in the first 5% of my class during freshman year of college
*I was the first of my class throughout high school, and I got prizes for that
*Scored 8.00 at the IELTS (100 at the TOEFL)
*Did the French Baccalaureate, mention Très bien
*I speak French, English and German

Activities:

*Won 3rd place at nationals in Gymnastics in September 2017, from 1st to 5th places at state championships
*I have been doing rhythmics gymnastics and dance since 2004
*Rhythmics gymnastics camps abroads in Cyprus, Miami, Los Angeles, Paris, Chicago with Russians, Ukrainians and Americans
*I created my own rhythmic gymnastics club for children in my village, since my university did not allow me to open one for students (the introduction of my essay, a small dialog)
*Summer courses at the University of Oxford in 2017
*Wrote, shot and edited several socially-engaged films that were projected in front of a hundred people
*Coach seniors to prepare them for the French Baccalaureate and Swiss Maturité

However, I practice my ACT subjects every day and, as a French-speaking student, I cannot do better than 28 (sometimes even 25, which is terrible!!!!!!!)

If I do not have a chance to get in, I won’t take the ACT test. If you think I can get in with a 28 composite (hoping I could get a better score), I will fly to the US to take the examination on the 10th of February (because the next ACT test date in my country is in April, which is after the application deadline).

Therefore, I need your help: with my stats and my ACT composite (in practice tests), is it worth it to go abroad to take the exam if I only apply to Ivy leagues?

Thank you very much.
0 replies
· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity