Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Yale Class of 2018 SCEA Discussion thread

1939495969799»

Replies to: Yale Class of 2018 SCEA Discussion thread

• SpoolManSpoolMan Registered User Posts: 274 Junior Member
    Congrats to those who got in. I hope to see some of you next year.
    To those who were deferred or rejected, don't let this get to you. Admissions at these schools are so unpredictable and kind of like picking a name out of a hat. This decision does not change you at all. You are not any less qualified. Good luck and I know you will end up somewhere you will love. Just hold on a little bit longer.
  • westsidestorywestsidestory Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    Congrats to everyone who got in! On another note, I need to get this off my chest. It's killing me.
    I discovered that I made a grammatical mistake in one of my essays (used was instead of were...I know, shoot me) Do you think I would have automatically been deferred because of this? I'm thinking that my essay in general wasn't too strong.
  • storylover132storylover132 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    @westsidestory - I highly doubt it. If your typo did not detract from your main message, I believe it will be ignored. Admission officers don't have a lot of time to read each essay, so they have to modify their focus, and I don't think your "was" vs "were" was that much of an error. I hope this is comforting in some way, shape, or form.

Good job to everyone. I wish you much luck during the last portion of the college chaos season! :D Second semester will be tough with all the exams, but at least we won't have apps at the same time.
  • viv158308viv158308 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    @westsidestory I had 2 typos (wrote starting feeling instead started feeling and I forgot to put with before a word argh), but I was still admitted. Good luck RD.
    @westsidestory @viv I reread my essays last night and found 2 grammatical (and one was really noticeable) errors in my common app essay. And I got in. You are not automatically deferred or denied if they find an error.
  • NotReallyTexanNotReallyTexan Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I got deferred. I'm really stressed, and I really want to get in. I have a 2400 on the SAT. Will this help?
  • IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 4,115 Senior Member
    I got deferred. I'm really stressed, and I really want to get in. I have a 2400 on the SAT. Will this help?
    Your SAT scores will not hurt, but clearly it was not the only thing they looked at. Everyone who applied presumably really wanted to get in. I hope that you eventually get in, but you should make use of the time remaining to apply RD to other wonderful schools (and maybe a safety or two).
  • thelemonisinplaythelemonisinplay Registered User Posts: 494 Member
    @SpoolMan that sounds great! Congratulations again on your acceptance, you truly deserved it :) as for me, I'm moving on. I've actually fallen in love with several other schools on my list- they're also more attainable... Hope I get in!
    Good luck to everyone else as well!
    @thelemonisinplay Good to hear. Best of luck to you.
  • SoljazzSoljazz Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey guys! I'm a Yale student (class of 2017) and I know this is not the most fun time for those of you still applying places, but I just saw this hilarious youtube video and I thought it might lighten the mood a bit. Good luck to everyone, and remember to relax a bit even if you're working on apps right now :) Turn It In (Application Deadline) - YouTube
  • Cocox2Cocox2 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Oh boy. My son got a 2400 single sitting also. Looks a lot like you on paper. Probably a high reach for him at this point
  • x3Strawb3rryx3Strawb3rry Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    Hi, I was deferred during the SCEA round. For the update we mail them in February, would it be in my best interest to send them photos of my entire art portfolio (about 15 pieces)? I know I'll be sending them updates on recent art contests I've heard back from, so would it be a good idea to show them what I've been doing for my art? (in case you were wondering, I submitted an art supplement through SlideRoom, which was limited to only 10 pieces)
  • entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    ^You are now a RD applicant, please post your question on that Discussion thread or on a separate thread.

SCEA done, closing thread.
This discussion has been closed.