Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***Yale 2022 Applicants Discussion***

Replies to: ***Yale 2022 Applicants Discussion***

• lacolibrilacolibri Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @anxiouswreck I don't believe a video is required, but you can always submit the video as a supplementary material as part of your application.
  • WinnerWannabeWinnerWannabe Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    @anxiouswreck the video is if you are applying via the coalition essay
  • WinnerWannabeWinnerWannabe Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    Oh yeah, and I'm applying to Yale SCEA
  • n2theoahn2theoah Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi everyone, I have an interesting situation if you guys feel like reading and sharing some much-needed advice. I am currently a rising senior (HS Class of 2018), and I'm deep into the process of figuring out what colleges I am going to apply to, and when. However, I have a dilemma. After visiting Yale back in the Spring, and doing a ton of research on their programs, I fell in love with the school. But, I have double legacy (both my parents) at Johns Hopkins, another school which I like a lot and would completely be happy with going there. A senior who has graduated from my high school (at Duke now) strongly recommends that I ED to Hopkins (who only consider legacy with ED), with a very high chance of getting in. However, if I am true to myself, Yale, and some other Ivys and top schools might be a little above Hopkins for me. Reaching for Yale SCEA and then seeing how I do in RD would be a no brainer, but a Valedictorian a couple years back, with a perfect SAT and great EC's from my school got denied from every Ivy League RD, and I personally believe that to be because my school is not great for sending kids to top colleges. My chances of getting into Yale or another top school other than Hopkins early is much lower than Hopkins. What do you guys think I should do? My GPA is 4.0 UW, I am 4/323 in the class, 1540 new SAT (750E 790M) w/ 24 essay, 800's couple subject tests, most rigorous classes taken (All AP's), some school, state/regional, and minor national academic awards, some cool Volunteer experience abroad and a Neurophysics research internship this summer. My prospective major is Physics/math, really interested in Science. Some extra info: a Yale admissions staff member/presenter visited our HS earlier this year, perhaps showing that they have interest in getting applicants from my region. I also want to eventually go to Grad school, if that factors in at all.
  • gigichuckgigichuck Registered User Posts: 366 Member
    Hey guys
    @WinnerWannabe A video is required if you're applying with Coalition? Is it the same for other schools?
  • YaleGradandDadYaleGradandDad Registered User Posts: 1,039 Senior Member
    @n2theoah, this is a common dilemma without a good answer. No doubt your admissions chances are much better at Hopkins ED than Yale SCEA. Will you regret not trying for your dream school instead of "settling" for a more assured one? This decision has more to do with your personality and sense of risk than anything that can be guided on a forum. Understand that the vast majority of your Hopkins boost is applying ED and not your legacy. Given that several schools are a "little above Hopkins" for you, think carefully about using your ED option there.
  • IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 4,115 Senior Member
    @n2theoah ,since I don't know you, I can't advise you, but I will say that my wife, some 40 years later, still wonders how things would have turned out had she had applied to a particular school rather than applying ED to another. She's had a good life, regardless, but she still wonders.

It doesn't so much apply to young people, but I find that much of life is regret avoidance.
  • MemmsmomMemmsmom Registered User Posts: 467 Member
    I think that if you were my kid, I would have you apply to your dream school over a school that has legacy. ED not only means that your decision is final but if you applied only because of legacy then it was decided long before you were born. It is a wonderful thing to offer a legacy to your child but that is like choosing their college for them. I would recommend my own kid to take a shot at the stars for a reach school and apply RD to the one I went to but that is just me.
    Another thought is that if you fear you would not be accepted if not for a legacy then your chances at Yale might be even harder as they are both difficult schools but Yale is considerably more difficult to achieve. JMO
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 1,297 Senior Member
    I don't see anything in your application that truly stands out (it doesn't appear you're a "must have" for Yale and you don't have any hooks) for Yale to accept you EA, which means that you would be deferred to RD. That being said if you don't try, you won't know, and as long as your happy at your state flagship then I'd go for it.
  • Dev2018Dev2018 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Since Yale just created a neuroscience major, do you think if you applied as one would you have a slightly greater chance of admission or would it have no effect at all?
  • nicknick567nicknick567 Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    I visited Yale and fell in love. I will be applying SCEA as an environmental studies major. Probably won't get in though! :bz
  • msexton525msexton525 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I plan on applying SCEA as an architecture major.
  • YaleGradandDadYaleGradandDad Registered User Posts: 1,039 Senior Member
    Dev3018, I do not think you increase your chances by choosing a new or unpopular potential major when applying. You do not declare your major until half-way through and there is poor correlation between what gets listed on the application and what they see four years later. If OTOH you apply into a school that locks you into a major, that will make a difference. By example, UIUC is top 10 in engineering and it is much easier to get in as a declared anthropology major than as an electrical engineer. Once in there are significant barriers to change so a wannabe engineer can't game the system by applying as an anthropologist.
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,161 Senior Member
    edited July 29
    @Dev3018 wrote "Since Yale just created a neuroscience major, do you think if you applied as one would you have a slightly greater chance of admission or would it have no effect at all?"

@msexton525 wrote "I plan on applying SCEA as an architecture major."

Yale DOES NOT recruit by major. All student's apply to Yale as "Liberal Arts" majors, and choose a major during their sophomore year. So, whatever students select as their "intended major" on the Common Application has absolutely no bearing on their chances.

The reason: More than 60% of US college students switch majors during their 4 years of school, so it's impossible for an Admissions Office to use an applicant's "intended major" as a recruiting tool, as most students will graduate with a major that is different from the one they wrote down on the Common Application.

Colleges ask about your "intended major" to see how committed you are to your interests -- the idea being that your commitment, energy and drive is a transferrable skill that could be transferred to another activity in college, or in another field after you graduate.

Whatever student's write down as their "intended major" they should make sure they have documented evidence in the rest of their application of their commitment to that major. For example, if you write down neuroscience, then you need to have some sort of demonstrated interest in the neuroscience field -- meaning you should have participated in something neuroscience(y) after school or during the summer break. Ditto with applying with an interest in architecture. Otherwise, it will seem to Admissions that you are trying to game the system by picking an intended interest that you think Yale wants or needs -- and trust me, Admissions Officers can smell that from a mile away.
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 462 Member
    ^^^ The most negative interview reports I have written were ones where the applicant must have indicated a special interest in some area in their app because it was in the student summary provided to me (we do not receive grades, test scores or EC's, but we will get an academic interest note). In these cases, the interest was something off the beaten track. Of course I was very interested in why they had such an interest in the subject and looked forward to their educating me a bit on the topic. Instead, I got at best superficial answers -- there was no meat to the bones. Now interviews are not going to make or break admissions decisions except in rare and probably extreme cases, but the point is if I can sense disingenuousness in a 45 minute+- interview, the AO will be on it pretty easily as @gibby points out.