Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***Yale 2022 Applicants Discussion***

iblifeishorribleiblifeishorrible Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
Hey everybody! Starting a little early, but wanted to get the conversation going for my year, please feel free to discuss! What schools are you guys thinking of applying to?

Replies to: ***Yale 2022 Applicants Discussion***

• bandathlete157bandathlete157 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    edited November 2016
    Harvard
  • iblifeishorribleiblifeishorrible Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Lol yeah I just like to plan ahead of time @bandathlete157 is clearly pointing out that my stress level is off the charts lol on my other posts. Sometimes I just lie awake going like "I don't know what I'm doing with my life", and I guess that was one of those days!
  • thesafasalehthesafasaleh Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I don't think Yale is a top choice for me, but I'll probably apply. Some of my other schools are Brown, Dartmouth, Tufts, Northeastern, Boston U., Worcester Polytech, etc. UCONN and UMaine Honors college are my backups. I got UMaine honors college in the bag--full scholarship. Is it stupid to be upset over that haha? I reallyyy don't want to go there.

Ahh junior year is hella stressful man. Anyhow, gotta go do IB History and AP Bio homework (ie. kill me lol).

• FreePariahFreePariah Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    Strongly considering Yale and Harvard... I just want a university that will essentially guarantee me admission into a top 5 law school..
    @iblifeishorrible yeah we've been pretty much all been there. Also, @thesafasaleh how can you already say that you "got UMaine honors college in the bag--full scholarship"? I've thought the same thing about Rutgers Honors College, but I think it's best for all of us that we don't get too complacent and make cocky remarks.

*Sorry for being the police here, I just don't want any of us to further perpetuate the cynical and presumptuous Ivy League student stereotype if any of us are lucky enough to get in. Thanks.*
  • thesafasalehthesafasaleh Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    edited December 2016
    @bandathlete157 Lol calm down. I'm not being cocky here, I literally have a full scholarship to the honors college...
  • hhjjlalahhjjlala Registered User Posts: 726 Member
    @FreePariah

Many people go from Wrinkydink University to Harvard Law School because they make an impact in their communities .
  • blountwil2blountwil2 Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    @FreePariah no school will guarantee you a top 14 law school. At the same time, any accredited school will give you the tools you need to go for Harvard or yale or whatever. Law school is LSAT and GPA and little else
  • sciencenerd123sciencenerd123 Registered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    @bandathlete157 you're so rude. This was supposed to be a nice chat and of course you come in and make it all negative. That awkward moment when that person actually has a scholarship to UMaine. Nice. Haha.
    edited December 2016
    @sciencenerd123 @thesafasaleh I was not trying to make this chat negative by any means; to be honest, I had simply never heard of a student being able to secure a full scholarship to any college, much less an honors college at the beginning of junior year. I apologize again for what I thought was an honest question, and I owe you my sincere congratulations if you have succeeded in getting this scholarship. I hope we can get back to the discussion. Thanks.
  • FreePariahFreePariah Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    @T26E4 @hhjjlala @blountwil2 Perhaps I worded my statement in a way that made me sound like I thought I would automatically be accepted to law school. What I meant was that statistically, Yale and Harvard students are more likely to be accepted into their respective graduate programs. I want whatever advantages I can get in that regard.

On a separate note, I would also like to attend those universities for the sake of getting a world class education. I am personally very interested in comparative politics at Yale. Harvard is a college I am interested in because their financial aid is really good, and the education is top notch. That being said, Yale is likely the only one of the two I will apply to.
  • chaostheory22chaostheory22 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    hey guys! I'm also looking to going to Yale :) not really sure if I'll make it though...
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 455 Member
    @FreePariah the financial aid at Yale and Harvard (and for that matter Stanford and Princeton) are all going to be fairly close and more importantly they are 100% grant (vs grant and loan). As to law school, of course all other things being equal, going to a highly competitive college will be an advantage but you still need to be a top student with great LSAT's and a complete applicant. Here is data from the profile page from HLS:

Class of 2019

Number of Applications: 5,485
    Number of Admission Offers: 908
    Percentage Offered Admission: 16.5%
    Newly Enrolled 1Ls: 562

GPA 75th / 50th / 25th percentiles: 3.94 / 3.86 / 3.76
    LSAT 75th / 50th / 25th percentiles: 175 / 172 / 170

51% women
    44% students of color
    13% hold advanced degrees
    80% at least 1 year out of college
    62% 2+ years out of college

188 undergraduate schools represented
    43 states represented (plus DC)
    20 foreign countries represented
    17% non-US citizens

Note how many schools are represented and that only 20% came straight out of undergrad.