Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2017 YES-W

Replies to: 2017 YES-W

• tdy123tdy123 Registered User Posts: 423 Member
    edited January 2017
    @SinsOfAdmission Surveys by the admissions office have indicated that in the past, the YES-W kids tended to make their decisions based on YES-W weekend, and not go back for Bulldog Days. With the two scheduled back-to-back, and the admissions department picking up the travel tab for the YES-W kids, the department is hoping that they'll stay for Bulldog days to get the full experience. With my son having been invited to YES-W, (and attending both YES-W and Bulldog Days) I can say that the experience at YES-W and Bulldog days is considerably different, with YES-W being focused on STEM, and Bulldog Days providing a much wider view of the Yale experience. Remember, the kids invited to YES-W are the kids that the Admit department are sure will also be accepted to schools like Harvard, MIT and Stanford. For many of the YES-W kids, one of the highlights of attending is that the event becomes something of an RSI, Intel and Siemens reunion weekend. My son, and the other YES-W kids who chose Yale who my son had spoken to, ended up choosing Yale because the opportunities to explore areas outside of STEM seemed much better at Yale, and with YES-W focused on STEM, also attending Bulldog days gives you additional insight into all the additional opportunities at Yale.
  • yitian9898yitian9898 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    edited January 2017
    So...no likely letters this year...
  • SinsOfAdmissionSinsOfAdmission Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    @tdy123 Thank you for the detailed explanation. Does Yale really think that students on the West Coast would fly across the country two weekends in a row? Or does YES-W precede Bulldog Days just a day or so before?
  • musicmeritmusicmerit Registered User Posts: 1,167 Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    Bulldog Days are usually Monday-Wednesday so it sounds like you could come in for the YES-W weekend and then stay for a few more days.

http://yalecollege.yale.edu/event/bulldog-days-3-day-event
    Here are the dates for this year.
    Monday, April 24, 2017 (All day) to Wednesday, April 26, 2017 (All day)

Here is the date for the one day event
    Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 9:00am to Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 5:00pm Bulldog Day (1-day event)
    http://yalecollege.yale.edu/event/bulldog-day-1-day-event-see-bulldog-days-april-24-26-3-day-event
    Ah, that makes a lot of sense, though it's still asking a lot for those who have multiple admissions offers.
  • musicmeritmusicmerit Registered User Posts: 1,167 Senior Member
    It is. My daughter said some were going directly from H to Y to P, not sure what order. You also do not have to stay the whole time at BDD. My daughter had to leave early due to an EC commitment.
  • yitian9898yitian9898 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    If the date of yes weekend is postponed, does it mean that nobody will receive any early likely letters?
  • MLAlgorithmsMLAlgorithms Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited February 2017
    [Deleted]
  • AznDude525AznDude525 Registered User Posts: 336 Member
    I heard some likely letters were released today?
    Are likely letters released electronically or the old way (US Mail)?
    edited February 2017
    Actually I'm not sure myself, It seems like its over a week period when they start sending letters out. I can't tell based on previous year posts but maybe its through mail? And I don't know when they started mailing out notifications.
  • BiotechgirlBiotechgirl Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    I know some applicants received phone calls yesterday from the yale admission office regarding likely admission.
    @Biotechgirl yea thats what I heard too. I heard the director personally calls you. I don't think he would call all 100 applicants in 1 day though.
    Wow. That would be insane. I never actual *speak* on my cell phone.
  • Multiverse7Multiverse7 Registered User Posts: 551 Member
    The AO's make the calls. The calls are made before the letters arrive.
This discussion has been closed.