Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2017 YES-W

Replies to: 2017 YES-W

• AznDude525AznDude525 Registered User Posts: 336 Member
    @myfuture09 Yes you have!
    I thought they were actually done with sending out updates by it seems like they're still ongoing! Best of luck to everyone!
  • MCurieMCurie Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    *college conspiracy theories intensify* @myfuture09 if you don't mind me asking, what is the first letter of your last name? Earlier in the thread we had been mentioning maybe emails and calls are going out alphabetically. Additionally, what time did you get the call? Maaaybe they are only contacting people at certain times? Anywho, I was just wondering. MAJOR congradulations though!!
  • myfuture09myfuture09 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Thank you so much!! The first letter of my last name is Z. I'm very sure that letters are still being sent out. The admissions officer that called me today told me due to the bad weather that's going on, Fed-Ex is experiencing a delay. I still haven't gotten my letter—I found out through an email and the phone call. I got the call around 5PM CST. If you need any more details, feel free to pm me!
  • TheSimpleThingsTheSimpleThings Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @myfuture09 Do you live on the west coast? There's a snow storm where I am.
    Assuming that they are notifying applicants on a regional basis (adcoms from each region call locally), maybe they aren't done yet?
    Nope! Midwest
  • MCurieMCurie Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    @myfuture09 thanks so much for the info! That was a major help! And congrats once again! Best of luck at Yale if you end up going! ;)
    edited February 2017
    @myfuture09 quick question. Was it a local admission representative who called you or the director of admissions for the entirety of Yale?

Why am I even asking this I have zero chance anyways lmao
    I think it was the local admission representative (I googled the Dean of Admissions and it's not him). He said he read over my application. I'm not too sure.
  • SinsOfAdmissionSinsOfAdmission Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    @myfuture09 Would you be willing to share with us the highlights of your application? For example, did you go to RSI or win a Siemens?
    To be completely honest with you, I'm very surprised that I received a Likely Letter. I don't think I'm a competitive applicant.
    I did not partake in RSI or Siemens, however I volunteered in a lab this past summer and did a very small research project but I never submitted it for competition. I plan on majoring in math/computer science so I do a lot of activities related to mathematics. I've done fairly well on the AMC and AIME (never qualified for USAMO though). I took a lot of math classes at my local university. I work part time as a calculus tutor at the university. I'm also very passionate about music and have placed well in state competitions. Overall though, I think it was my rec letters and essays that helped me stand out.
    If you'd like more details, feel free to pm me!
  • SinsOfAdmissionSinsOfAdmission Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    You sound competitive to me, @myfuture09. I suspect the AMC/AIME was quite helpful. Congratulations! To help the others on this thread, I'll ask you one more question publicly:

Yale is, at its core, a liberal arts school. How did you fair on your humanities subjects and test scores in high school? I ask because I wonder if those who don't do as well in non-STEM areas will be considered strong enough by Yale.
    edited February 2017
    @SinsOfAdmission he has a 3.99 UW Gpa with 11 + AP Taken. I am pretty sure likely letters are targeted to people thriving in STEM as they want to bolster that side of their school.
  • njg00nnjg00n Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    @myfuture09 congrats!!
    Has anyone from NJ (or elsewhere in the Northeast) gotten a likely letter or YES-W invite?
This discussion has been closed.