Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What are your views on my strenghts and weaknesses?

draginoldraginol Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Colleges: Yale University (Early Action), Harvard, Purdue University.
Race: South Asian (Indian)
Average GPA of 4 HS years: 10/10
SAT: Yet to write on 7th October
EC's: TEDx Speaker at 3 events, Hundreds of hours of Community service, Member of National Speedcubers' Board (Only 50 selected from all over the country).
Research: 1 published research in the field of Cryptography.
Honors: Valedictorian, International Young Scientist Award, Principal's Academic Award for all HS years, NTSE Scholar (Means a lot here!)
Work Experience: Interned with Analytics' firm for 5 months, Speaker for Womenite (A Social Entrepreneur's NGO) for 2 months.
Other Courses: Online Courses from Georgia Institute of Technology, Peking University, Yale University in Electronics, Chinese, and Music.
Skills: AutoCAD Professional, C Certified Professional.

Weaknesses: I am on a gap year and will re-write the final exams of Grade 12 I have passed already.

Replies to: What are your views on my strenghts and weaknesses?

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 29,495 Senior Member
    With no test scores it is hard to say. I assume you are not a US citizen.

Is Purdue affordable for you? You are far more likely to be accepted there than the other two.
  • exyalie15exyalie15 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    I think you have a chance. Not the biggest chance I've seen, but a chance. If you have good test scores it will come down to the qualitative component of your application. If your test scores are below the Yale median I would recommend not applying if the application fee is significant for your family.
  • worriestoomuchworriestoomuch Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    You sound like an interesting person and candidate for admission. How did spend your gap year? What do you want to study at Yale and how do your academic and extracurricular activities relate to your intended major(s)? If you can communicate in your essays and short answer responses a compelling story about what matters to you and why Yale is therefore the right "fit" for you - in addition to having stellar grades, standardized test scores and letters of recommendation - you will be as competitive as the many, many other stellar students applying for admission this year. Best of luck!