Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is 32 ACT good enough for Yale?

13»

Replies to: Is 32 ACT good enough for Yale?

• IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 4,111 Senior Member
    A student only has one early card to play, and it should be played wisely.
    I agree with everything but the number "one." There are a number of other schools that you can apply to early. The most common use is a state flagship (e.g., DS applied concurrently to Yale and Michigan EA). So, in DS's case, he got to apply at the same time to one "reach" and one "match," increasing the chances that he would be able to feel less pressure to apply, apply, apply during his senior year. As it happened, he got lucky :)
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 457 Member
    Chance yes, equal chance (32 vs a 34 candidate) highly doubt it. While the ACT scores are not broken down into similar detail, if we look at the bands published in the Yale CDS, you can see a significant falloff in matriculates with subscores below 700 on the old Sat. I suspect if Yale (or any highly selective) were to publish a distribution graph, we would see more scores bunched towards 33/34+ than below.

So, yes applying RD with a 32 is not irrational. Agree with @Houston1021 and @IxnayBob that applying SCEA with a 32 is not smart for the reasons they elaborate, and it also forgoes the opportunity to put OP's best foot forward if OP can achieve a higher score than 32 on either or both the Oct 28th and the December 9th tests.
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Registered User Posts: 366 Member
    edited September 13
    @IxnayBob my "one card" statement was referencing other highly ranked private schools like U Chicago, Duke, Penn, Vanderbilt etc. that offer a significant advantage for ED applicants. A 32 might not cut it at those schools either. As you point out, Yale does allow a student to apply to a state school, a school with rolling admissions, colleges outside the US etc. while applying SCEA at Yale. However, some kids are not interested in applying to or attending a state school--even one as great as Michigan. It is a gamble, if the student strikes out with his/her SCEA bid he/she may not get into some of his/her other choices RD or might be waitlisted everywhere else. The process is very stressful. It all worked out in the end for my D as you can see from my avatar.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 1,293 Senior Member
    The applicant needs to remember that he/she is competing against others in the same pool of applicants, not against all other applicants. If your pool is exceptionally strong, then you need to be extremely strong in your application to have a chance. If your pool is weaker (pools can be divided by athlete/legacy/race/sex, further factors include international and socioeconomic condition) then your overall application can be weaker. Don't get me wrong, there can be extremely strong applicants in all pools, but some pools are weaker than others. As pools are divided admissions start to look like a meritocracy as the strongest applicants in each pool are selected for admission. Still there are the essays and how much your particular AO likes them will affect outcomes, so there is still wiggle room for holistic admissions even within a pool. So to answer the original question a 32 can get you into Yale as long as its competitive in your pool.
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 457 Member
    Was on an interesting conference call the other day with Yale's Dean of Admissions, Jeremiah Quinlan. He provided some interesting insights on the process that I think posters here often speculate about. The process he describes is similar to the Wesleyan process described in the "Gatekeepers" and even in the film "Admission".

The Yale admissions officers are each given a region. The regions are at least largely geographic because he spoke in geographic terms and probably defined by the number of applications they anticipate receiving from that region to even out the workload. After a first sorting by the officer responsible for the region, there is a second reading to get the list down to candidates that would go before the Committee. There was no suggestion that each region got an equal number of candidates in to the next round. Of the 33,000 applicants for the class of 2021, he described 20,000 as academically qualified. By the time they got to the Committee, the list was culled to about 6,000. So yes, while candidates are considered in pools of various sorts, the first 14,000 cuts of qualified candidates is done primarily by 1 or 2 individuals that are looking through a geographic pool. I am sure they have subpools in mind when they go through their portfolio, but when you deal with decisions made by 1 or 2 persons, human subjectivity will be a bigger factor since the decision is not based on a large group consensus. As they go into Committee, each Regional officer is tasked with prioritizing their list of candidates who are being considered and is the advocate for those candidates. It is not hard to imagine that there are candidates which fly through the Committee by dint of their accomplishments and how they presented themselves through their essays, LoR's and EC's (these are likely the kids who get admitted into multiple highly selectives). I suspect it is at the next level of candidates when the Committee is trying to build their "ideal class", that comparison based on subpools becomes a larger factor. I would also hazard a guess that based on the sheer number of applications each officer has to go through in the first round, the first sorting (conscious or unconscious) will be based on objective stat's, and the further you fall down that curve, the greater the need for something in the subjectives to jump out to move on.

• jonrijonri Registered User Posts: 6,947 Senior Member
    I do remember seeing that the quadruplets had scores lower than a 32 ACT and the were all accepted to
    Yale.

My understanding is that ONE of the four had a 29 ACT. IIRC, two had 33s. I am not certain of the other score, but I think it was a 32.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,554 Senior Member
    edited September 16
    First, one of the quads was on CC for some time. I don't remember now how much he revealed publicly here, but in a set of PMs with him, over a year ago, he revealed activities and accomplishments beyond ordinary, recognition in important individual (competitive) ways (not just the usual list of hs honors or clubs.) Piecing later posts together about the four, each was more than "ordinary."

So, to be blunt, I wish folks would stop assuming -and promoting - the idea it's just because they're URM or quads.

What BKSquared shared is what I see, also, another school. But though there can be what's called two reads, more are involved with their opinions, crossing regional lines, backing up reactions or questioning. The first pass is a harsh, fast cut, but still leaves many thousands more than, say, 6k.

The number who "fly through" is miniscule. The number actually reaching a final chat is much smaller than assumed, re-culled by that rep or team.

But a 32? Part of holistic is to look at the sub scores, in the context of what the applicant wants and how he prepared for that. OP thinks his reading/science scores may be lower. Of course that can be a problem, for a stem wannabe or a major that requires a high level of reading skills. And at any tippy top with a deluge of top candidates.

And OP previously said he has a 3.9, but I don't know what courses/rigor. Nor what activities distinguish him. No matter what "pool," as an individual, we don't know enough.

All we can say is, before *any* early app, he needs to better understand his match. The sort of questions he's posed hint he doesn't have that feel. The risk is an app/supp that's a blind shot.
13»