Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Yale sets new early app record

2»

Replies to: Yale sets new early app record

• 1NJParent1NJParent Registered User Posts: 578 Member
    ED/EA apps are likely increasing at almost all highly selective colleges because of perceived advantages. Besides Yale, UPenn and Cornell have also reported significant increases. Only Stanford and MIT don't seem to be playing that game.
  • Penn95Penn95 Registered User Posts: 2,320 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    it's obvious Yale has stepped up their marketing efforts to ALL groups.... and I'm sure U of Chicago's pace setting success in this area has something to do with it.

make no mistake every school markets like crazy.. Princeton boosted it's marketing efforts last year... Harvard does a ton of marketing.. it's all for selectivity appearances.

@sbballer highly doubt Yale is looking or should be looking at Chicago for its marketing strategy. What pace setting success? Chicago applications went down last year, despite their super aggressive marketing. i think Yale neither needs to make that aggressively because of its name nor even wants to be seen as aggressive as Chicago when it comes to outreach. Yes every school markets a lot, but none to the level that Chicago does. Especially HYPS don't need this as much.
  • hesijimbohesijimbo Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    apparently they accepted the least amount ever from SCEA but had the most applicants ever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DeepBlue86DeepBlue86 Registered User Posts: 922 Member
    Here's the article describing the result: https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2017/12/14/yale-admits-14-7-percent-of-early-applicants/

My projected number of admits in post #6 above (around 871, like last year) was close to the actual number of 842, but not quite right, and I think it's because I didn't include the 52 Questbridge admits that were announced two weeks earlier. If we assume 50 of those matriculate (after all, they have a full ride to Yale, to which they've been matched through a program) along with 720 (~86%) of those admitted SCEA, that will mean that Yale will have filled just under half the class early (770/1550 = 49.7%), which, as I noted above, looks like it may be their target.

Interestingly, Yale's 14.7% SCEA admit rate is right on top of the 14.5% and 14.7% rates that Harvard and Princeton announced earlier in the week, which may not be entirely coincidental.
  • jototojototo Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    Universities with huge endowments need to start spreading the wealth and contributing to equality.
    Education has always been an equalizer. The huge endowments have become a target for those who sustain that the Ivys do very little to spread the wealth. Taxation of the endowments will be more palatable as long as the Ivys continue to pile up cash and do very little. More action and less window dressing may be in order.
2»