right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Yale 2024 Applicants Discussion

BippitybopityBippitybopity 19 replies1 threads Junior Member
Hi everyone, I realize its quite early to start such a discussion, but I figure why not? I'm ready to start drafting my essays and short answers in the next few weeks - what about you all?
269 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Yale 2024 Applicants Discussion

• LunarlitgendLunarlitgend 461 replies3 threads Member
    Hello! :smiley:
    Thanks so much for making this chat! I'm sure once the end of May to the start of June hits people will be trickling in here by the numbers. Soon people will be flooding in by mid-Summer so it's okay for starting early! :joy:

I already drafted mainly my common app essay in the sense that I know what I'm going to write about. But I haven't written it yet. As for my supplements and all I haven't really drafted or written them yet.
    I'm still in the middle of AP testing so I can't really start them now, but once June hits I'll probably start then.

I hope your drafting is going well :)
    Do you plan on applying S.C.E.A?
    · Reply · Share
  • BippitybopityBippitybopity 19 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Yes, I do plan on applying SCEA - what about you? I wanted to go through a few revisions and I figured the best way to do that was to start early. Good luck with AP tests and your application!
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 5
    Yeah! I plan on applying SCEA too.
    That’s a good way to think about the essay process. I’m sure they’ll turn out really well! I plan on starting my essays the beginning of June. I want to do a little bit more research on Yale before starting my supplements though.

Thanks! You too!
    What do you plan on majoring in at Yale? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
    edited May 5
    · Reply · Share
  • imsa2020nvimsa2020nv 9 replies1 threads New Member
    Hello all future applicants! I am also planning on applying for the class of 2024 and probably even going the SCEA route. I just had a quick question and would love some opinions. Since Yale has the score policy of sending all scores, will it look really bad if I send in 5 SAT scores? I know this is a bit excessive but two of the exams I took in freshman year to get into a selective high school and one I had to take because my school required it. Only two exams were taken with the intent of sending them to colleges. Do you think this will affect my chances of getting in? Thanks in advance!
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 5
    @imsa2020nv Hi!!! Welcome to the Yale 2024 discussion forum! We’re glad that you’re able to join us on this possibly heart wrenching journey of the college season :joy:

As for your question, no I honestly don’t think it’ll affect your chances of getting in (in terms of negative affects, cause I assume that’s what you mean).
    The whole point of Yale wanting to see all your scores is to see how you progressed throughout your times of taking it. In the end though they’ll, I assume, always go with your best score.

I’m probably going to be taking the ACT 3 or 4 times. The 1st time I took it was after quick review and to see where I’m at and to know what to study. However, I had to take it a 2nd time because of my school too and I couldn’t deny it because it was required which was unfortunate because I really wasn’t ready. Hence, I didn’t get the score I wanted.
    I’m sure there are many applicants who took the ACT/SAT 4+ times. Though it’s better that you don’t take it excessively, if you take it 5 times and end up with a high score that meets their benchmark, you should be fine.

I saw on the Yale 2023 chat that you said you got a 1580. So, hypothetically, if you were to get rejected from Yale it would absolutely NOT be because of your SAT score(s).

Hopefully that’s helps to answer your question :smile: :smile: :smile:
    edited May 5
    · Reply · Share
  • BippitybopityBippitybopity 19 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Yale wants all scores b/c Yale superscores the SAT, meaning that they'll take the highest score from each section across all attempts and combine it into one composite score. However, there is a point to where trying again on the ACT/SAT isn't going to improve your score by much unless you invest a lot of time and effort towards quality studying.
    · Reply · Share
  • excovererexcoverer 655 replies31 threads Member
    Hi everyone. I decided to drop by because I've been considering applying to Yale, but I'm not too sure. I wish you all the best of luck.

@Bippitybopity If you got a 1580, then I don't think it would be too big of a problem that you took the test five times.

Have a nice day.
    · Reply · Share
    @excoverer I absolutely think you should give it a shot, you never know what could happen :)
    · Reply · Share
  • excovererexcoverer 655 replies31 threads Member
    Thanks very much. @Lunarlitgend I agree with you completely, and I appreciate your advice.

Have a nice day.
    · Reply · Share
  • Pentatonix123Pentatonix123 29 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Hey, has anyone done the net price calculator from Yale and found it to be much higher than other private universities? I know that they are not completely accurate, but Yale apparently thinks I can pay over 60,000 per year whereas other ivies/top 20 schools are more in the 30,000s.
    · Reply · Share
  • beautifulchaosbeautifulchaos 62 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Does anyone know if Yale admits by major? Would it decrease my chances if I applied undecided?

Also, @Lunarlitgend @Pentatonix123 hey guys, I remember you from the Scholastic thread!
    · Reply · Share
    @beautifulchaos LOL Hey dude!! OMG this is so exciting!! :smiley: I’m so happy to see you’ll be applying to Yale too! That means we’ll be going through this journey together! :joy:

As for your question, I’m sure the major you apply to has some impact but in the end it doesn’t weigh as much in comparison to other schools because really everyone goes in without a major. No one chooses their major until near the end of their sophomore year at Yale.
    I don’t think applying undecided will hurt you nor will it really increase your chances of getting in.
    In the end they’re choosing authentic applicants who they believe will add onto/make a chance on their campus and diversify their student body.
    That’s what I think at least.
    · Reply · Share
    @Pentatonix123 No I haven’t done the netprice calculator because I don’t really know my financial situation (my parents are so secretive about that stuff -.-) but because college season is coming up I know finances will be something we’ll be discussing about soon.
    However, my dad did do the netprice calculator and he said we’d have to pay around $40,000+. I was pretty shook when I heard that and pretty reluctant to apply to Yale but in the end after talking to an AO and looking deeper at our situation I don’t think we’ll have to pay that much.

You’re right, those netprice calculators are, most of the time, pretty inaccurate because in no way shape or form does it capture the nuances of a family’s financial situation.
    For instance, I’m a twin and I also have a younger brother who’s in Elementary school right now. I live in a middle class family too, we’re no way close to rich.
    Paying $40,000+ for college without scholarship for not one but TWO PEOPLE SIMILATENOUSLY would absolutely cripple my parents and would probably leave little money/financial help for my brother when he starts applying to college.
    I also recently toured Yale and my dad talked to the associate AO about it and he seemed really understanding about it.

I’d LIKE to think we’d pay less than $40,000+ based on our situation but I guess you never really know. Plus if the financinal aid isn’t enough you can always attempt to send an appeal to Yale about it.

That’s what I think of it. :)
    · Reply · Share
    @Lunarlitgend Yeah, I agree with your points. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!
    · Reply · Share
    Also, @beautifulchaos @Lunarlitgend it's so cool we'll all be applying to Yale together this year!
    · Reply · Share
    @Pentatonix123 LOL true! But, I’m glad that helped!

@Pentatonix123 @beautifulchaos
    Yeah! It’s really cool! It’ll make the journey all the more exciting!!
    What do you guys hope to major in at Yale in the future? And what made you interested in Yale in the first place?
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 9
    @Lunarlitgend I'm thinking of majoring in something humanities related (e.g. English) and potentially going to grad school for law. My parents want me to major in computer science ($$) but I hate math and basically anything STEM related lol. Writing is my passion, so hopefully I can get a career out of it (and not end up homeless, which my parents think will happen to me if I major in the humanities :neutral:

Yale seems really strong in the humanities and their residential college system sounds cool. Also, it's kind of close to home and not too far away from NYC, a city that I love. Columbia is another school I'm considering applying to, but I've heard bad things about it (lack of school spirit, clique-y, campus is super crowded, etc.). I want a more traditional college experience, which I think Yale would provide.
    edited May 9
    · Reply · Share
    @beautifulchaos I relate to you on a spiritual level. I'm also interested in the humanities at Yale and am also passionate about writing (but that makes sense considering that we were both Scholastic participants :wink:) . I'd like to major in English while taking business classes from the graduate SOM. I want to be an author when I grow up which my parents support but they believe that I have to have a profession and then do writing on the side. My dad is especially strict with me getting a good job. He tried coaxing me into going into Science and/or Engineering. I do like math and I'm pretty decent at it, but I hate science with an absolute passion. So no. But he does want me to go into Law. Law seems interesting and if it's possible I'd like to double major in English and EPE, but from what I've seen I don't know if I can see myself doing law for the rest of my life, hence, my interest in business. But we'll see.

I agree with you. I remember looking into all the Ivy League schools and Yale was pretty much the only school, other than UPenn, that resonated with me the most. I was even lucky enough to tour it this spring break and I didn't want to leave which isn't what I felt at the other schools. Funny enough, I wasn't even that interest in Yale until I was invited to an information session at my area. What drew me in especially was their beliefs matched mine entirely in terms of education. Sure they admit accomplished applicants, but they mainly admit people who they see have potential and are capable of making a difference. They also have their code: "truth and light" where truth represents using education to be aware of the world around us while "light" is nurturing us to become good people because it doesn't matter how smart you are if you're a terrible person. Speaking of people, the people there are accomplished but they're also really humble and considerate and passionate which is a stark contrast to my high school which is really homogenous and conservative and a lot of people don't care about school. I also love how their curriculum isn't 100% open (Brown) and 100% strict (Columbia) but they're smack dab in the middle and have a very flexible curriculum that allows you to try new things and discover other passions. Something that also turned me on happened during the info session. It was when my state AO representative stated Yale has EA because they want us to come to Yale out of genuine interest rather than a binded agreement, which comes to show how much they value/trust their students' values and decision. That's just a few out of many reasons why I became attracted to Yale. Of course, Yale isn't perfect, but the pros outweigh the cons for me personally. I highly doubt I'll get in, but honestly, it's worth a try :)

Will you be applying SCEA and have you started drafting your essays yet?
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 9
    @Lunarlitgend Yep, I'll be applying SCEA. I haven't started drafting my essays yet but am hoping to start over the summer, since I know I'm going to be drowning in hw once school starts. I know Yale (and pretty much any competitive school) is a long shot, but speaking from personal experience, I'd much rather apply and get rejected than not try at all and wonder what could have been. Good luck with your application and I hope that we'll both see each other in the fall of 2020!!
    edited May 9
    · Reply · Share
    @beautifulchaos YAY!!!! As you saw earlier, I plan on applying SCEA too! :smiley:
    Yeah me too. I'm going to start drafting my essays once the first day of June hits if not, the last few days of May. My workload is going to be heavy senior year and I don't want to deal with cramming my essays and doing schoolwork all out once, too stressful.

LOL, you too and I hope so too! And even if we get rejected, as you mentioned, it'll still have been worth it giving it a try. :)
    · Reply · Share