Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Yale Parents thread

Replies to: Yale Parents thread

• Community2605Community2605 Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    Thoughts about Hurricane Irma and New Haven?
  • CT1417CT1417 Registered User Posts: 4,055 Senior Member
    @Community2605 -- I am hoping the storm does not head as far north as New Haven. I have not seen anything to indicate that it will, so fingers crossed!
  • tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 994 Member
    I know many crew boathouses on the eastcoast are preparing for the worst :-(
    Is there a text or email system that keeps us parents in the loop? Can't recall...never tested last year....
    @tonymom ---I am less than an hour away. I will let you know if the storm travels up the coast this far. I have New Haven weather on my phone now. They had thunder and small craft warnings the same time I did tonight.
  • IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 4,115 Senior Member
    I don't expect Irma to hit us here near Newark, NJ, but instead of our normal weekly generator "no load" test, I ran a full load test, just to be sure. We will watch the weather reports. With kids in New Brunswick, NJ, Saratoga Springs, NY, and New Haven CT, who could have guessed that the safest one would be my daughter who just arrived in a village in Fiji with the Peace Corps? She doesn't have running water on a good day :)
  • Tperry1982Tperry1982 Registered User Posts: 1,491 Senior Member
    Okay I missed quite a few comments while I was picking my D up and getting her settled. Senior year off to a great start and I am in the midst of helping her proof essays for fellowships.
    @Community2605 - I probably read to fast and did not realize he was a junior. No offense taken.
    @Faulkner1897 - glad the recommendation worked out. Her boxes appeared as promised. Will definitely be using them to ship stuff home in May as we clean out her room.
    Hope to see some of you in November. Already bought tickets and parking passes for The Game!! Stop by. It's going to be epic.
    @Tperry1982 --OK, can you provide a primer on buying tix & parking passes? And is it only essential to buy this far in advance for THE game? I assume that seating is general admission? Just go to Yale Athletics page?

Toying with the idea of going up for the Cornell game on the 23rd of this month, and figured I could just buy tix at the gate.
    @Flinnt12 - when I was at Yale the fireplaces worked. It was also the late 70's and the energy crisis so we actually needed them to not freeze in the rooms. I'm surprised we survived and didn't burn the place down because of course there was no such thing as a smoke detector or sprinklers.
    @BKSquared - welcome to legacy parent world. My classmates always hate it when I blow up my Facebook feed with pictures of Yorkside and other hang outs. BTW - If Jodie was there when you were, we were there at the same time.
    After just having family devastated in Houston and Port Arthur, I am already telling my Florida family to get in their cars and come up here for a visit until things settle down. I hope it doesn't hit New Haven, that would mean that here in the DC area we would have gotten a hit too. I think it was Isabelle in 2003 that had my lights out for a week.
    @CT1417 - Believe it or not, my first year doing so. We always went to the Game, but never actually into the Game - Yale had lost for the last 10 years prior to last. We just hung out at the tents and then at various parties over the weekend. Also never parked before on the lots but walked to the Game from campus. This year we are getting passes because of the tailgate we want to have for our girls who are seniors. A classmate of mine, whose daughter is besties with my D, is doing all the logistics.
    Thanks @Tperry1982 --- it just seems odd to me to be thinking of attending as a parent of a student. I can see attending if I had gone to H or Y. So will hold off and see what transpires. Thanks!
    @CT1417 - I guess parents of students, who are not alumni, come to the Game. I never thought of that. Most of the non-student activities that weekend are alumni related. But it should be a good game this year so come on. You can tailgate with us.
  • DeepBlue86DeepBlue86 Registered User Posts: 719 Member
    edited September 6
    @CT1417 - you can buy tickets and parking passes through yalebulldogs.com. There are general admission seats for $20, but they're at the ends; the best tickets are reserved (and cost up to $125 for midfield). West is the home side. Confusingly, general admission and reserved seats are purchased on different parts of the site.

For The Game (unlike other home games), you need to buy a parking pass in advance, and you can only do so as part of a ticket purchase. You don't need a parking pass to attend (you can always park in town and walk out - it's about a mile and a half from the central campus, and there may well be street parking closer) unless you want to tailgate. There are single-car parking passes and ones for trailers if you're throwing a big party.

This year Harvard is favored, and expected to share the Ivy title (with Princeton - Yale is ranked fourth in the league). That was the case last year too, but Yale upset Harvard at home, denying them their fourth title in a row. Whatever happens, The Game is a festive occasion.
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 462 Member
    @Tperry1982, based on your handle, we are in the same class. Missed the 35th because of son's HS graduation. @CT1417 if you know an alum who is going to the Game, you can get them to buy tickets for you in the Alum section. We are doing that for friends who's son is one of my son's best friends but is going to the "other" school. They are happy to sit with the "enemy".