Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I can't change my commonapp essay anymore?

stl2cali2k1stl2cali2k1 Registered User Posts: 537 Member
edited November 2012 in Yale University
i applied SCEA to yale, and i never knew that once i submitted the commonapp portion, i couldnt change it anymore O__O
Post edited by stl2cali2k1 on

Replies to: I can't change my commonapp essay anymore?

  • samsunimomosamsunimomo Registered User Posts: 223 Junior Member
    I'm sorry.

    But the warning was stated on the agreement that you had to check before sending in your application. Will this be a big problem for you?
  • stl2cali2k1stl2cali2k1 Registered User Posts: 537 Member
    noo i meant like uploading a different essay when i apply to other schools
  • samsunimomosamsunimomo Registered User Posts: 223 Junior Member
    Actually, you can have different versions of your Common App.

    Look at your general Common App instructions.

    "The Common Application should generally be completed once, with identical copies sent to all colleges. You should create a new version if you wish to correct an error discovered after submission or provide new information not available when you first submitted the application. It is not necessary to "customize" your Common Application for individual colleges. Individual college supplements and supplemental essay questions should be used to provide special information to different colleges. Below are the steps necessary to create an alternate version.

    Step1: You must submit the Common Application to at least one institution first. You cannot create an alternate version until this has occurred.

    Step 2: You must log out of the application then go to this special URL:


    and login using your existing User Name and Password.

    Step 3: Upon login you will be taken to the 'Common Application' page, where you will see information about the application you have already submitted. The ability to create an alternate version of your submitted Common Application is now activated, and you should click on the ‘Replicate’ link to make an alternate version of your submitted application. When this is complete, a second version will be visible on your screen and a special drop down list that will appear in the upper right corner of your application. You can use this drop down to move between application versions.

    All data from your original version of your Common Application will be transferred to your alternate version, with the exception of any documents that you uploaded. You may edit any of this information before you submit it to another institution."
  • smiles101smiles101 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    yes!! thanks sooo much samsunimo!!
  • sylviecerisesylviecerise Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    Are the colleges you used in previous versions suppose to import? Because I'm not seeing mine and I'm too lazy to copy them over/redo any supplements I had started...
  • answer313answer313 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Go to your "My Colleges" page on your original version of the Common App. Select a college, then click "Move College," which is right below the box containing all of your colleges. It will ask you if you want to move that college to Version 1 (or whichever version): click "Move." Then, it will appear on the other version, and your Common App and supplements will transfer and remain filled out as they are.
  • adaaadaa Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    what about teacher and counsellor recommendations? wil they have to be uploaded again as well?
  • diiamondsssdiiamondsss Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    hey, i have a quick question

    where can we find the replicate link? i went to the url, and logged on. but i didn't replicate, and just logged off. now the link is gone. can i get it back somehow?

  • fuzzyfirebunnyfuzzyfirebunny Registered User Posts: 1,365 Senior Member
    AHHHH I wish I'd known about this BEFORE I submitted my Harvard app!!!!! X( X( X(
    sigh. oh well.
    only now when I rejected, I'll wonder if I could've done something differently ^_^
  • adaaadaa Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    ok i reiterate
    what about teacher/counselor recos? do they hve to be re-uploaded as wel?
  • Smile614Smile614 Registered User Posts: 1,530 Senior Member
    ^Nope! Thank goodness. I was a bit concerned about that too because I really didn't want to bother my teachers with that but it transfers over just fine. You just have to re-assign the teachers to the colleges I think. At least I'm pretty sure that's what I did. But then the recommendations still show as submitted!
  • drae27drae27 Registered User Posts: 552 Member
    Do you know if you can edit an application that was already submitted as well as make these new versions? If edited after submission will the changes automatically be seen by the college?
  • KansasGirlKansasGirl Registered User Posts: 303 Junior Member
    You cannot edit an app that has been submitted to a school. You can only edit if you submit to a new school.
  • lizflyinglizflying Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    If you create a second account, is it possible to change the college counselor information? There is an error in the info the counselor sent out--and I'd like her to be able to upload a new version of it in the second account. Is this possible? Thanks.
  • AltamontAltamont Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Hi, im not applying to yale, but does anyone know if we have to reassign the teachers to the colleges like smile614 said? thanks
This discussion has been closed.