Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Yale vs. Harvard?

2»

Replies to: Yale vs. Harvard?

• kaidenkaiden Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    Although I don't like revealing any information about myself on sites like these, I can tell you I'm an extremely unbiased on this perspective.
    Well, the admissions officer told my parents and me that Yale likes seeing diversity, and so most Yale grad schools choose to take very few of their own undergraduate students and instead accept students from other schools.

From my own experiences with graduate schools/classes, this stigma STRONGLY applies to graduate programs in the liberal arts (ie. Economics, Philosophy, Political Science, etc). The reason being is quite obvious: if a student learned everything they know from faculty members already at the school, there are little new ideas/theories they can research and offer to their classmates that were not currently available to them.

However, I do not think this is necessarily the case with all graduate programs, specifically professional programs (which seems to be what you are worried about since you want to go to medical school). An example here is to look at the undergraduate institutions that make up Harvard's MBA Class of 2009:
    Harvard (64)
    Stanford (15)
    UPenn (12)
    MIT (12)
    Cornell(11)
    Yale(10)
    Duke(10)
    Berkeley (7)
    Michigan -Ann Arbor (7)
    North Carolina (7)
    Dartmouth (6)
    Virginia(6)
    Georgetown(6)
    Columbia (6)
    Texas(6)

Doesn't seem like Harvard has any bias against their own students.

Getting down to the facts, I would say that Harvard's students are much more strongly professionally oriented. Many more students there compared to Yale will be pre-meds, and Harvard also has a stronger undergraduate research program (in my opinion up there on an undergraduate level with the likes of MIT and even surpassing research universities like Cornell). Harvard's prestige is also unsurpassed on any level.

However, in my honest opinion, Yale is the countries greatest undergraduate college. Its collection of personalities, thinkers, and academics who possess such a diverse collection of interests and beliefs, really define what I believe to be an undergraduate academic experience. I feel as though you'll have your entire life to make money, become successful, and earn respect through degrees and whatnot, but you only go to college once.

On a side note, not making it into YMS will not be the end of the world. I would say that as far as professional schools go medical school propsects place the least importance on the brand name of the institution (in relation to law and business), and that Yale will certainly open more doors to medical school then ones it will close.

Good luck with your decision.
2»
This discussion has been closed.