Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AP US Gov't *Self-Study*

you'llsee...you'llsee... Posts: 4,535Registered User Senior Member
edited February 2008 in AP Tests Preparation
is it possible to self study AP US gov't by ONLY using a prep book, and get a 5? (assuming that I am smart, which i am :P) I just bought the Princeton Review Guide for us gov't.

Please share your experiences. Has anyone ever only used a prep book for APUSGov't and recieved a 5 on the exam?

thanx so much in advance.
Post edited by you'llsee... on

Replies to: AP US Gov't *Self-Study*

• you'llsee...you'llsee... Posts: 4,535Registered User Senior Member
    ew...only 12 views? WTH
  • snipez90snipez90 Posts: 600Registered User Member
    probably, honestly our gov teacher has been giving us past free responses and they require common sense more than anything else.

also I took the 1999 MC test (I DON'T HAVE IT) and got 45/60... I've read about 3 or 4 chapters in my AP gov book.

you know even though I hate you because you probably won't ever read Wilson's intro US gov text (fantastically boring, I liked American Pageant so much and this text was just a disappointment), I think you can pull it off if you are good at social studies and watch the news every now and then.
    yeah, I figured that a lot of the exam was just common sense. Thanks for the help.

Question for anyone who used PR for apgov't: does it cover everything on the test?
  • swim2daendswim2daend Posts: 2,497Registered User Senior Member
    Well, i just bought the AP US govt book from PR and it is amazing! I'm learning more from it than my textbook. Except, I didn't see much about primaries...
    bump bump
  • andreaaaaaaandreaaaaaa Posts: 7,930Registered User Senior Member
    you'llsee, i am planning on self-studying without using a textbook. i bought cliffnotes for a prep book and will probably buy another one before the ap test. what books are you using?
    I'm onlyusing PR prep book. (along with other online materials). Do you think i should get another book?
  • llpitchllpitch Posts: 4,318Registered User Senior Member
    What online materials are you using?
  • aerableparableaerableparable Posts: 192Registered User Junior Member
    get a barron's or peterson's one if they make them. I find PR to be too basic and good only for reviewing after you've had a full course and already more or less know all the material.

and coursenotes.org is your friend.

as for gov. I think US gov is pretty easy. I'm in it right now and depending on where I go to college this fall and whether they'll accept credit, I'll decide about whether or not to take it.
    yeah, i have heard that the material is pretty easy to learn but the test is hard to get a five on.
    and coursenotes.org is your friend.

umm that was just some garbage ad website.
    llpitch, its course-notes.org, with a hyphen.
    ok thanks =D