Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AP statistics vs Regular Pre-calculus

emman43emman43 Posts: 28Registered User New Member
edited July 2009 in AP Tests Preparation
Is AP statistics easier than regular pre-calculus?
Post edited by emman43 on

Replies to: AP statistics vs Regular Pre-calculus

• whitesox24whitesox24 Posts: 592Registered User Member
    AP Stats is considered to be easier than Pre-Calc at my school.
  • agjagj Posts: 168User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    At my school, AP Stats has more word problems and Pre-Calc is more mathy-math with equations and stuff.
    So I have a HUGE problem with word problems, therefore I am going to take Pre-Calc instead. I know several people that have taken both though and enjoyed them.
  • XcelleratorXcellerator Posts: 1,678Registered User Senior Member
    They're both relatively easy. Take 'em both! :D
  • rawkfistrawkfist Posts: 517Registered User Member
    stats is easier at my school :x
  • tan2007tan2007 Posts: 232Registered User Junior Member
    If you have a good Stats teacher, I'd definitely suggest taking that class. You'll learn more about the real world and a different perspective that you can carry outside of the classroom.

But, if you are planning on becoming an engineer or the like, then the Pre-Calc to Calc route would most likely be better.

If anything, take both :)

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't say anything about easiness. Uh... Stats is easier if you're into abstract math concepts. Actually, most people who didn't do well in Pre-Calc went onto Stats and understood more from the latter. If that makes any difference :P
  • selter01selter01 Posts: 468Registered User Member
  • cluck09cluck09 Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    At my school, AP Stats was actually probably a little harder than PreCalc, and I know that was due to the teacher for PreCalc. She was a pushover, and once you got the concept, none of the problems she gave us were very difficult.

AP Stats on the other hand, I felt extremely prepared for the AP Exam, since we had been doing AP problems all year long. It was probably my only class that gave homework every night.

I would recommend taking both. I did AP Calc and AP Stats this year and it wasn't too bad.