Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Berkeley vs Duke vs Cornell vs CMu for electrical & Computer engineering

RMLRML Posts: 5,676Registered User Senior Member
edited January 2010 in Carnegie Mellon University
If you're to advise an affluent (rich) International Student who (assuming) got into Duke engineering as well as Berkeley engineering, Cornell engineering and CMU engineering, which school would you recommend?
Post edited by RML on

Replies to: Berkeley vs Duke vs Cornell vs CMu for electrical & Computer engineering

• ssssscsssssc Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    definitely berkeley.
    duke doesn't have a great engineering program.
  • RMLRML Posts: 5,676Registered User Senior Member
    ^ why Berkeley over CMU or Cornell?
  • OmegazOmegaz Posts: 226Registered User Junior Member
    1. CMU
    2. Cornell
    3. Berkeley
    4. Duke
  • wildwildweswildwildwes Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
    CMU. We, uh, work until it MHz.
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 6,598Registered User Senior Member
    It all depends on the kind of experience you're looking for. What do you want in a school?
  • bruno123bruno123 Posts: 1,390Registered User Senior Member
    If your interests lie in electrical engineering properly, I would say
    1. Cornell
    2. CMU
    3. Berkeley
    4. Duke

If you are interested however in computer engineering more so than EE, I'd go with
    1. CMU
    2. Berkeley
    3. Cornell

Disclaimer: Overall, I think Berkeley EECS is actually stronger than both CMU and Cornell. It wouldn't be my top pick for undergraduate studies though. I'd choose Berkeley over both CMU and Cornell for graduate school though.
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 6,598Registered User Senior Member
    Choosing grad school is a lot more than just reputation, though. You need to find an advisor with similar interests to yourself and can work with effectively.

Also, cost of living is a pretty huge difference between CMU/Cornell and Berkeley. I know of grad students that have bought houses in Ithaca and Pittsburgh, while people in Berkeley have a hard time finding a nice apartment on their stipend.
  • King KongKing Kong Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    CMU is definitely the best at computer science, but don't be one of those people who thinks CS and EE are the same thing.