Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AP classes = +1 per semester?

kwkingdom123kwkingdom123 Posts: 252Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2012 in College Admissions
When calculating one's weighted gpa, does one add 1 point for each ap taken, or 1 point for each semester of that ap taken?
Post edited by kwkingdom123 on

Replies to: AP classes = +1 per semester?

• T26E4T26E4 Posts: 15,290Registered User Senior Member
    Usually it's per class -- not per semester. If one person takes 4 APs one semester, having a 1.0 boost, the same as a person who only takes one AP class -- it doesn't seem to make sense.
  • siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Posts: 3,557Registered User Senior Member
    How does your high school calculate the weighted grade? In our area, some high schools add a full point for an AP class, others add .33 for an AP class.
  • kwkingdom123kwkingdom123 Posts: 252Registered User Junior Member
    Oh, I forgot to specify, I meant uc weighted gpa. how do you calculate that?
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 3,445Registered User Senior Member
  • wcgh13wcgh13 Posts: 78Registered User Junior Member
    it depends on your school. usually its
    AP classes:
    A-5 B-4 etc
    Honors:
    A-4.33 B-3.33 etc
    Regular:
    A-4 B-3 etc

or at least for my school
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 32,124Registered User Senior Member
    The UC calculation is similar to the CSU calculation, except that 12th grade course grades (if available) are not included. The CSU web page explains the calculation more clearly:

CSUMentor - Plan for College - High School Students - GPA Calculator

Since you count grades by semester for the UC or CSU calculation, you get one bonus point for each semester of honors or AP course taken with a C or higher grade, up to a maximum of eight such bonus points. E.g. you took two year long (two semesters each) honors or AP courses and got C or higher grades in each semester in each course. You therefore get four bonus points from these courses for your UC or CSU calculation of your GPA.