Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

FAQ: Foreign Language

12346»

Replies to: FAQ: Foreign Language

• Steglitz90Steglitz90 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    edited February 13
    I had the opportunity to ask USC's (SoCal, not South Carolina) Director of Admissions this question after he spoke at my son's elite private HS: "My son wants to take AP Econ Senior year instead of Spanish 4. Will this hurt him in the eyes of USC or other elite universities?"

The answer was: No, absolutely not! If he is replacing "rigor for rigor" the schools do not have a problem with it. (Especially replacing a likely "B" in Spanish 4 for an A in AP Econ -- which is what happened with my son, and my son wants to be an Econ major.) He did tell me that AdComs will have a problem with dropping a 4th year of language for another free period or "basket weaving" type class.

We'll see if my son gets into USC (& other elites) based on this advice. He's already in at UMiami, Pitt & Fordham, at least he's going to college :) :) :)

• chb088chb088 Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    @HRSMom yes they look at French 1 in 8th grade because it was a high school course. so your child is getting credit for 4 years of high school language. My junior is in Spanish 4 and doesn't want to take AP Spanish. He is swapping it out for a different AP class.
12346»