Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

"Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 12

1262728293032»

Replies to: "Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 12

• roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 725 Member
    @doschicos

You did your math wrong. If you add up all the other categories, you should get 34.9, not 27.1.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    edited April 6
    Why would I include international students in that number? They are there own category and don't represent URMs from the USA, correct? @roethlisburger So, I actually did my math correctly. :)
  • LMHLAW3LMHLAW3 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    So that leaves at least 70%'white/Asian. Also, I'm primarily focusing on Blacks and I was not only talking about Ivy league schools. Trust me, go on to these campuses and you will see very few faces of color. My Ds went to a high school that was only 30% white and now attend colleges that are about 25% minority (includes Asian).
  • LMHLAW3LMHLAW3 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Thank you for your support.
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 725 Member
    @doschicos Those spots aren't open to you just like an athlete's spot isn't open to you if you are not an athlete.

That's another historical anachronism in the admissions process. As cobrat has pointed out, the Ivies went to holistic admissions to limit the number of Jewish students. I'm not even sure why colleges have sports teams, other than the few spectator sports which either break even or turn a profit.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    I won't defend the college sports machine. I'm not a fan. That would be a whole other lengthy thread of rants. :)

Just being pragmatic that spots that aren't open aren't open. Nobody has promised that elite college admissions are based solely on an objective ranking based on inconsistent test scores and an archaic and gameable testing scheme.
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 37 New Member
    The discussion around race or admissions is more around the lower scores and academics needed between the races. An Asian with a 2100 is at a disadvantage because he or she will be compared with other Asians for the percent of the class the college wants to allocate to Asians. URMs it has been shown score a lot lower (reasons that deserve another thread imo), so a URM with a 2000 say has a much better chance to get in to an ivy than an Asian with a 2200. Colleges should be (and I think are) free as to how they want to build their class, that's why you get these discrepancies.
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 757 Member
    edited April 9
    @Much2learn Being a practical person, I focus on understanding the system and using the system to my kid's advantage, before setting on a course of action. Hopefully, many others do the same. I attribute my kid's getting into his top 2 colleges -- Stanford and Berkeley -- to this approach. We picked 5 colleges to apply to only after we had a good idea of how this college admission game worked. And we never listened to anyone who told us you needed 4.0 gpa or 35 ACT or 2350 SAT to get into a top college. Even who you ask for recommendation letters is very important, as well as encouraging your kid to get to know his counselor and teachers and asking them to discuss non-academic qualities. Unless you can get these people to go to bat for you and like you, your chance of acceptance will plunge. This is more important than getting near perfect grades or stats. For example, you should not be taking AP tests left and right. Getting 5s on 10 AP tests will not be viewed more favorably than getting 5 in 2 APs and 4 in other 2 APs. Better to put efforts into your ECs and working on your essays.

If our kid learned anything from this college admission process, he learned to pool his resources and strengths to convince others in power.
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 757 Member
    edited April 9
    If you are an URM, use that to your advantage. If you are an ORM, you have to learn to appeal in other ways and compete in other ways and try to apply to colleges which will treat you like URMs. Whether I agree with the system or not is not going to help increase my kid's chances of admission. I told my kid to get in the system to try to change the system. Hopefully, one day there will be no hooks of any kind and no URM or ORM. All I know is that death is a big equalizer and not much can be gained from complaining.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 350 Member
    @websensation that's some good advice and exactly how my D got into UChicago. Problem here is everyone is fascinated with stats when it really only is a qualifier and not a determinant.