Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Why aren't asians considered minorities?

TruthfuLieTruthfuLie Posts: 362Registered User Member
edited December 2010 in College Admissions
Asians make up around 5% of the US population, or so I've heard. Why are they not given minority status when it comes to college applications?
Post edited by TruthfuLie on

Replies to: Why aren't asians considered minorities?

• RiotRiot Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
    I would assume it's because their applicant pool is so strong, but I don't know.
  • la montagnela montagne Posts: 1,140Registered User Senior Member
    Because, though they may only be 5% of the nation's population, they're a MUCH higher percentage of the applicant pool at top schools.
  • phurikuphuriku Posts: 2,740Registered User Senior Member
    Because they are over-represented minorities, i.e. the ratio of the percentage of Asians of most top colleges to the percentage of Asians in the U.S. population is high.
  • LadaDeeDaaaLadaDeeDaaa Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    They are considered minorities, just not underrepresented minorities.
  • A.S.A.P.A.S.A.P. Posts: 2,663Registered User Senior Member
    Asians may find that they still get a little bump in admissions preference if they apply to schools where the Asian population is low, like some east coast LACs and midwestern colleges.
  • andrewx490andrewx490 Posts: 59User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    wouldnt it be awesome if asians were URMs and the URMs were asian?
  • spazattackspazattack Posts: 831Registered User Member
    this might be stupid but what are URMs and LACs?
  • EloquenceEloquence Posts: 1,015Registered User Member
    URM - Under Represented Minorities (Black, Latino)
    LAC - Liberal Arts College
  • fabriziofabrizio Posts: 5,564Registered User Senior Member
    TruthfuLie,

As A.S.A.P. said, Asians do receive "minority status" benefits if they apply to colleges where there are few Asians. Many midwestern and southern liberal arts colleges have low Asian enrollment. In addition, quite a few of these are selective and offer substantial merit based aid. Both Grinnell and Washington & Lee immediately come to mind.

In general, however, Asians are not given "minority status" benefits because as a group, they have done too well. They took advantage of the opportunities that became available to them as a result of the Civil Rights Movement and never looked back. With no "Asian leader" to remind them of the Chinese Exclusion Act or Korematsu, they looked to the future and found a path through education.

As a consequence of enrolling at universities in percentages exceeding their national Census statistic, they have been pegged as "over-represented" minorities.
  • llpitchllpitch Posts: 4,318Registered User Senior Member
    I think some colleges might not think of some types of Asians as ORMs (like Filipinos).
  • KaznackKaznack Posts: 1,985Registered User Senior Member
    Are Jewish people still ORMs around East-coast LACs?
  • hotpiece101hotpiece101 Posts: 4,042Registered User Senior Member
    Asians aren't considered "under represented" minorities at top schools only because sooo many apply and are accepted that the percentage of asians at top schools is much larger than the US percentage of asians. But Asians aren't considered over represented at LACs and most state schools.
  • brianthemanbriantheman Posts: 192User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    jewish and asian people make up around 40% of the populations at most major top schools (i.e. ivies)
  • aisgzdavinciaisgzdavinci Posts: 1,997Registered User Senior Member
    You've got Turkey, Eastern Russia, Middle East, China, Japan, India, Korea all the way to Indonesia. And they sum all of these regions under "Asian"
    That, IMHO, is just too broad..
  • sun_surf_N_sandsun_surf_N_sand Posts: 301Registered User Junior Member
    by asians, are you suggesting east asians....