Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Lenovo Thinkpads Vs. Ideapads

DardardelightDardardelight Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2009 in College Computers
I know that lenovo has a new great ideapad...I'm a senior in high school, who will get a laptop for christmas. I'm just wondering if anybody knows from experience....or if someone could just tell me the slight differences between the two. Thank you!
Post edited by Dardardelight on

Replies to: Lenovo Thinkpads Vs. Ideapads

• ChipmoneyChipmoney Posts: 1,185Registered User Member
    I'd get the thinkpad.

Thinkpads are made to a higher quality than the ideapads.
  • SBRSBR Posts: 2,777Registered User Senior Member
    thinkpad is business oriented, ideapad is consumer oriented.
  • DardardelightDardardelight Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
    i see. the ideapad seems lime more of a "fun" and entertaining computer. But I'm just worried that it's too fragile...and that it's not going to last me. Plus, I want to put limewire on my laptop without a doubt. Will an Ideapad last me 4 years?
  • brandnewstatebrandnewstate Posts: 351Registered User Member
    buuuuuuuuump
  • ilovebagelsilovebagels Posts: 3,499Registered User Senior Member
    The best engineering is in the ThinkPads (spill protection, magnesium roll-cages, etc)
  • getsome23getsome23 Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
    thinkpad x series is the way to go
  • AllPhillyFanAllPhillyFan Posts: 104Registered User Junior Member
    i'm on an ideapad y550 right now and it's amazing. 4 GB ram, Intel core duo, 320 GB storage, it's great. I wouldn't worry about any durability issues here, it's made very well.
  • Quiche78Quiche78 Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    What retailer carries the Lenovo products? I'll like buyonline, but would like to see and touch first before deciding.

Thanks
  • GanGan Posts: 47Registered User Junior Member
    Fry's (at least the one by me) carries the value line and Ideapad line of Lenovo. Don't even try Best Buy, they don't carry any Lenovo's for some odd reason.
    if you go on the Lenovo website and enter your zip code, it'll list nearby stores that carry Lenovos. although, most stores (at least most stores around me) carry only a select few models of thinkpads/ideapads.
    allphillyfan - could you expand on your ideapad's durability? like how long have you had it, has it overcame any fall or something... stuff like that.

i'm trying to decide which ideapad model is best. i would get a thinkpad, but thinkpads are a little out of my price range :/
  • AllPhillyFanAllPhillyFan Posts: 104Registered User Junior Member
    No I haven't dropped it or anything, don't plan to. It did survive a travel though before I had a bag for it where the person that was driving stopped short and it was obvious the box I put it in hit the back of the trunk by the sound. I don't know how to explain how i feel it's build quality is good but just by holding it you can tell it's a well made machine