Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Ramen noodle?

EuropeanGurlEuropeanGurl Posts: 28Registered User New Member
edited January 2011 in College Life
how many of you college people out there live for this yummy,dirt cheap treat?
Post edited by EuropeanGurl on

Replies to: Ramen noodle?

• DMOCDMOC Posts: 1,442Registered User Senior Member
    I never eat them.
  • hi_im_leilahi_im_leila Posts: 2,024Registered User Member
    I literally lived off of them at the beginning of school. There's an Asian market across the street from campus and I was always there stocking up on ramen. I still love them, but I'm trying to adjust my diet so that it's a little bit healthier and not so sodium-packed. Those noodles can contain over 1/2 of your recommended sodium for the day D:
  • EuropeanGurlEuropeanGurl Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    so true about the sodium part!^ I heard that college people have many other uses for Ramen besides eating it! :O
  • DnationDnation Posts: 327Registered User Member
    I don't live for this treat, I live on it.

Huge difference.

And yeah, the mass amounts of sodium is pretty much a given for cheap ramen.
  • leolibbyleolibby Posts: 702- Member
    the spice packet also contains MSG. If I eat one I usually just don't use the spice packet.
  • manariusmanarius Posts: 833Registered User Member
    One guy at the local university ate nothing but ramen and bread for about a year. He went to the doctor because his gums started turning black. Turns out he had scurvy. Scurvy! The doctor was literally in disbelief.
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,820Registered User Senior Member
    I hate ramen. I tried it once and refuse to eat it ever again.
  • you_of_ehyou_of_eh Posts: 753Registered User Member
    I'm assuming Mr Noodles is ramen noodles. I don't really know what ramen noodles are.

I try not to eat Mr. Noodles but when I do, I make the noodles like normal and then eat it with a fork. So basically all I'm getting is the wet noodles with a bit of the seasoning, just enough to make it taste good. But I never drink the liquid after I've eaten all the noodles, I just pour it out. So then I'm only actually consuming a fraction of the ridiculous amount of sodium right? Does everyone do this?
    Yeah, Vitamin C cannot be produced in the human body. Only humans and some primates lack the genetic codes to internallu produce Vit C (dogs and cats would do just fine on bread and ramen noodles because they have the DNA to produce vit C)
  • ISUClubISUClub Posts: 790Registered User Member
    "One guy at the local university ate nothing but ramen and bread for about a year. He went to the doctor because his gums started turning black. Turns out he had scurvy. Scurvy! The doctor was literally in disbelief. "

dang. But what if you eat nothing but ramen, bread, and a ton of dietary supplements? Would that patch things up?
    I think the only vitamin supplement proven to be effective is Vit D. The body needs foods that have vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc. Vegetables and fruits of a variety of colors. tr ramen noodles taste good, but have too much salt and MSG
    also, if It's white bread, you're gonna get a vitamin B deficiency that will appear and kill you much sooner than scurvy. That's if it's not "enriched."
  • SeanannersSeananners Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    Technically, supplements could work (not as well as actual food though) but since we are talking about eating cheap food, we cant really fork a bunch of money for supplements :P
  • RixsRixs Posts: 1,003Registered User Member
    I eat it maybe once a week. It's only a snack for me.
  • AtlanticJumperAtlanticJumper Posts: 164Registered User Junior Member
    I've only ate ramen once while at college...yeah, I'm totally missing out on the "experience".
    I ate it more at home though...didn't add the flavor packet and instead added my own stuff. Egg, some soy sauce...whatever I could find to make it a somewhat meal.