Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Electives/Fun/Interesting classes

burningbrightburningbright Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
edited July 2009 in College Life
What electives have you taken and are planning to take this fall just because you're interested in them? What was worth it, what wasn't? I have two free spaces, and I'm taking 2 different languages classes: contemporary literature of my native tongue, and French conversation. Really excited! What about you?
Post edited by burningbright on

Replies to: Electives/Fun/Interesting classes

• somebodynewsomebodynew Posts: 2,895Registered User Senior Member
    I'm taking French I and Tagalog I this fall for fun. In the Spring, I'm going to take either Tennis or Bowling.

I've taken random literature classes (lower level ones that don't count for my major) for fun. Last semester I took "American Masculinity in 20th Century American Lit and Film," and while studying abroad I took 15 credits worth of Spanish classes that didn't count for my English major (6 of them did form the beginning of a Spanish minor, though).
  • CboeCboe Posts: 198User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    I'm not taking any electives this semester. But next Spring I'm considering trying Japanese. If not I'll probably do something related with Journalism or even Kinesiology.
  • llpitchllpitch Posts: 4,318Registered User Senior Member
    I'll probably doing Beginning or Intermediate Weightlifting.
  • christalena2christalena2 Posts: 1,668Registered User Senior Member
    My favorite 'only-for-fun' classes were 'History of the Modern Middle East' and all of the anthropology classes that had nothing to do with my major. Now I have a minor in it.
  • WantsBrownWantsBrown Posts: 925Registered User Member
    My step-brother is taking "The History of Torture" class next semester
  • convosationalistconvosationalist Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    WantsBrown wrote:
    My step-brother is taking "The History of Torture" class next semester

In my limited experience courses with fun names are incredibly workload-heavy.
    Also, probably not the best course to have on your transcript if you apply to med school.
  • Mr. BojanglesMr. Bojangles Posts: 824Registered User Member
    Advanced Organic Chemistry is my elective.

For some reason I like filling up my free electives with more science courses. Medical microbiology, behavioral pharmacology, and advanced organic....they just interest me and I want to take them rather than some history or sociology bullcrap class
  • PlattsburghLoserPlattsburghLoser Posts: 5,487Registered User Senior Member
    I'd like to take an Introduction to Modern Torture class.

I bet there's a lot of evil hand rubbing and exchanging shifty glances in there.
  • October47October47 Posts: 1,021Registered User Member
    I'm interested in taking some P.E. classes, like tennis and dance, but I'll probably wait until I transfer to a four-year school to take them.
  • rsxwheeeeeersxwheeeeee Posts: 1,269Registered User Senior Member
    Weight Training & Rock N Roll History
  • Cards4LifeCards4Life Posts: 1,211Registered User Senior Member
    Intro to Human Sexuality. It was basically Sex Ed for college kids, and if you went to class it was an easy A.
  • Mesquite_girl24Mesquite_girl24 Posts: 977Registered User Member
    history of the US NAVY!
  • AodhanAodhan Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
    I took a semester of Japanese, and I really didn't like it as much as I thought I would (and I had already taken 6 years of the language before college). I haven't taken an elective since, unfortunately.
  • panicpanic Posts: 966- Member
    Social Psychology was pretty interesting.
  • IR09IR09 Posts: 239Registered User Junior Member
    Scuba Diving, and a personal liberties class.