Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

American University vs George Washington?

JW135167JW135167 Posts: 123Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2010 in College Search & Selection
I want to go to a school in DC and right now I am trying to decide which is better between AU and GWU. I want to major in mass communications, and minor in international studies, because my ultimate goal is to be in some job where I travel internationally and do work in communications or journalism of some sort.

My question is which school would be better for that type of job? I know they both supposedly have great communications and media departments, but which would be better overall, as far as getting a job, and just the academics and so forth?
Post edited by JW135167 on

Replies to: American University vs George Washington?

• charlieschmcharlieschm Posts: 4,282Registered User Senior Member
    In addition to whatever people write on here, you should do a search on this website. This question has come up several times before, with many responses.

Have you visited both colleges? The most common comment is that some people like a more traditional campus, while other people like being in the middle of the city. By the way, American is planning on building a number of new residence halls on the parking lots on the south side of the campus.

I'd apply to both and see which gives you a better aid offer before you make a decision.
  • cltdadcltdad Posts: 937Registered User Member
    I can't say which is better, but it sounds like your goals are to follow the path of David Gregory, the host of NBC's Meet the Press and an AU alum. David Gregory - Meet the Press - More - msnbc.com
  • sacchisacchi Posts: 2,050Registered User Senior Member
    No need to decide which one you prefer now. Apply to both and make that decision if/when you are accepted. GW is more selective than American.
  • guanyinguanyin Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    GW is apparently more selective than AU, but if you look at both schools' incoming classes' stats...Not much of a difference. Both universities are in DC so you'll have a variety of internship opportunities, win-win situation there. AU gives more scholarship and financial aid, if that affects your decision at all.