Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Question About Admissions Review Committee

smilemoresmilemore Posts: 27Registered User New Member
edited December 2007 in Cornell University
If you are deffered, review committe for regular decisions will see that you were passed over for early decision. I am wondering how that is generally viewed by the committee. On the one hand, it shows you were passed over by one committee already, which is a negative. On the other hand, they can see that you showed a strong interest by applying early decision.

Any thoughts?
Post edited by smilemore on

Replies to: Question About Admissions Review Committee

• Dennis173Dennis173 Posts: 868Registered User Member
    I am thinking like you, that the committee knows that you have a great interest in the school. It helps ,I guess, when compared to other students applying RD.
  • dande1114dande1114 Posts: 932Registered User Member
    i agree. if it is a simple reason that you were deferred- such as just wanting to see your mid year senior grades, then i dont think it is a big deal. they will see you were motivated and really love cornell and then they will see your midyear grades...

so...i think in general, it can only be a positive thing.

and sorry i kind of just rambled.
  • coopertemplegrlcoopertemplegrl Posts: 386Registered User Member
    being deferred just means that the committee wanted to compare you to the larger applicant pool. thats not a negative, its just a fact.
  • jrcho88jrcho88 Posts: 1,021Registered User Member
    I wouldn't read too much into it. It is what it says. It is better than a straight up rejection and worse than an acceptance. Since nobody here is an admissions committee member, we can only guess.
  • abanksabanks Posts: 266User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    What exactly does the deferral letter say?
    Dear ******,

Cornell has finished a careful review of our early decision applications, and the selection committee has decided to postpone a final decision on your application until the regular review process in the spring. I know that this is disappointing news, but please rest assured that your application will be read again thoughtfully and thoroughly during the regular decision period.

This electronic message is not your official notification. You should be receiving an official letter from us in the mail shortly. In the meantime, I wish you the best as you complete your senior year.

Sincerely,

Jason Locke
    Director
    Undergraduate Admissions Office
    Cornell University
  • abanksabanks Posts: 266User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    wow, that is short, and a bit cold.
    It wasn't pretty to see on the 19th but hey- thats okay. Life goes on. I am just excited that i get a second chance and then another shot at lots of different colleges, even though Cornell still is my first choice by far.

That is life. I am not a quitter, so who knows. :)
  • fudgemasterfudgemaster Posts: 836Registered User Member
    Send a letter to express your continued interest in the school and to update your stats.