Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

American University MT vs. Muhlenberg

2»

Replies to: American University MT vs. Muhlenberg

• KellyLJ1KellyLJ1 Posts: 224Registered User Junior Member
    himself317, you guys may very well have already made your decision, so I don't know if you are still doing research or not. My D has recently made her choice and she will be going to American next year as a theater performance major. Megpmom and bhmomma, thank you for all your insights about your children's experiences...some of what you shared with me here helped my D make her final decision, along with meeting Sophie and talking with her and other students/ faculty while we were at American for Freshman Day. :-) FYI, we are in northern VA, about 25 miles from American, so we are close by....perhaps we will meet some of you, if you are ever in town for an AU performance!

For us, the final decision was made based on the seemingly endless opportunities available in the Washington, D.C. community. Even though the other theatre program she was considering was excellent, the opportunity to be part of a university that insists that their students are engaged in the larger community and even globally...my D just couldn't say no! We also liked the smaller size of the theatre program and the potential to double major. While we certainly support our D's passion for theatre, we know that realistically it is a very tough career choice and we felt like American would offer her the opportunity to explore her other interests and perhaps expand her education to include those additional paths while still allowing her to get a broad- based and exciting theater education and make lots of theatre contacts. When you hear how well connected the American theatre faculty are within the D.C. community and beyond, you know that these folks are there because they LOVE teaching. My husband and I spent quite a bit of time talking to Carl Menninger, the director of the theatre program, and we were very impressed by his philosophy and his obvious devotion to the kids in the program.

Himself, hope that might offer you some additional insight as you guys finalize your decision. Good luck to you and your family and maybe we will see you next year!
  • bhmommabhmomma Posts: 502Registered User Member
    Best wishes to your D KellyLJ. It is great to able to visit to see occassional shows. We either drive or train down and it helps that Washington has plenty to see/do that we can make it a family trip. They have a freshman "showcase" in the fall, so pencil that date in!
  • khanumkhanum Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    KellyLJ1, hi there, I have been reading all the posts from everyone and appreciate all the good information. Our D has decided to attend American U for Musical Theatre in the fall. I agree that the program, its location and involvement with DC theatre will be what makes the entire experience that much more rewarding. I understand you are in the NVA area, so are we...would love to connect and have our Ds meet, they may already know of one another for all I know...congratulations on American!
    Great idea, khanum! I will send you a private message.
  • himself317himself317 Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    Yahoo. My D will also be attending AU as a MT major. She loved it from her 1st visit, and for all the reasons mentioned above. We're all thrilled about it. Maybe we will meet at an upcoming event. KellyLJ1 and khanum, congratulations on American!
    YAY! I have been checking back to see if your family had made your decision, himself. Congratulations to you and your family! I know we were all relieved when the decision was finally made and my D gets more and more excited every day. Hopefully, we will all get a chance to meet in the future.

Himself, my D and khanum's D have connected on Facebook. Send me a private message, if your D would be interested in "meeting" my D on Facebook as well and I will pass along her name.
  • sophiestarsophiestar Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    This is so exciting! If you, or any of your children, have any questions about the program as they prepare to start in the fall, please don't hesitate to contact me! And if it's more convenient for them to friend me on Facebook, that is more than ok as well. We had our exit interviews today, so I'm feeling the love for AU even more than usual.
2»