Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Top East Engineering Colleges?

GamefreakGamefreak Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2006 in Engineering Majors
I'm a junior just trying to get a feel for the top engineering schools on the East Coast. Don't think I'm Ivy material but so far I'm thinking Michigan U, VA Tech, Penn State, UVA, and UIUC. I'm ok with doing something in, for example, Michigan but not much farther out than that. Anyone care to comment on any of these schools or recommend some more to check out?

Much thanks!
Post edited by Gamefreak on

Replies to: Top East Engineering Colleges?

• PangiummyPangiummy Posts: 106Registered User Junior Member
    I'd say Umich and UIUC are the best engineering schools on your list. Their in the top 10 for almost all their respective engineering majors so you can choose what you want to do. I'm not sure if UVA is famous for their engineering program, i thought they were good in liberal arts and sciences.
  • runningncircles1runningncircles1 Posts: 1,856Registered User Senior Member
    Check out GA Tech, too! 70% admit rate, but still ranked in the top 10 for engineering schools, and very well respected by its peers.
  • Marines920Marines920 Posts: 269Registered User Junior Member
    Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
  • CH121SCH121S Posts: 1,077Registered User Senior Member
    i wouldnt consider Umich and UIUC on the east coast.

But all the schools on that list are good.

Also Id add Bucknell. its a good engineering LAC
  • AlexandreAlexandre Posts: 22,504Super Moderator Senior Member
    Michigan and UIUC are excellent, although UIUC is a little out of the way to be considered "East Coast". Were it in Chicago, I would say the general culture and proximity to a major airport would make it "East-ish". But UIUC is nowhere near a major airport (a good 2 hours from O'Hare at the very least) and Urbana Champaign is a very rural little midwestern town.

Also check out Northwestern, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Virginia Tech and PSU.
  • GamefreakGamefreak Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah, I'm looking for most "East-ish", don't have to be *on* the coast but shouldn't be too far out.
  • tomboytomboy Posts: 229Registered User Junior Member
    WPI, RPI, Olin, UVa.

Since I looked at all of them, I feel safe in passing them on.
  • ilovemath314159ilovemath314159 Posts: 980Registered User Member
    what about Cooper Union? and tuition is free!
  • mohhilmohhil Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
    yes but Cooper Union isn't exactly easy to get into...

Which colleges mentioned give the best financial aid?
    I know WPI is pretty bad in that area...
  • tomboytomboy Posts: 229Registered User Junior Member
    WPI gave me a pretty good deal, as did RPI.

Olin is also no tuition.
  • Spetsnaz OpSpetsnaz Op Posts: 870Registered User Member
    UIUC? East? lolol....I have lived out east and been to UIUC and illinois is solidly in the midwest :D
  • SmittykSmittyk Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Drexel is a great choice for Eng. on the East coast. If you want Ivy League also check out U.Penn's program
  • jpetto421jpetto421 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    There are many to consider
    UPenn, Olin, Penn State, Cooper Union, dont forget the Naval Academy. NYU doesnt have a bad engineering program, etc.
  • PangiummyPangiummy Posts: 106Registered User Junior Member
    lol, i thought nyu didnt have a good engineering program because they sent their engineering kids to Steven insitute of technology.
  • VTEngineer18VTEngineer18 Posts: 258Registered User Junior Member
    Virginia Tech has a wonderful Civil Engineering program and has a great social and athletic scene as well. It should definitely be on your list.