Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Stevens vs NYU-Poly

lastdayx52lastdayx52 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
edited March 2009 in Engineering Majors
I've got a $20,000 guaranteed scholarship renewable each year (upwards to $80,000 over 4 years) for NYU-Poly, and a $5,000 guaranteed scholarship renewable each year (upwards to $20,000 over 4 years) for Stevens Institute of Technology.

Where should I go? I was considering Stevens since it is of a better school between the two, but that scholarship offer is nice, and NYU-Poly could be better in the coming years as its affiliated with NYU now. Also, I'm into music, and Stevens doesn't have an Orchestra, where as NYU has a community orchestra which I can be part of.

P.S. I plan to get Mechanical Engineering and a Physics degree.
Post edited by lastdayx52 on

Replies to: Stevens vs NYU-Poly

• PlattsburghLoserPlattsburghLoser Posts: 5,487Registered User Senior Member
    I'm also interested in hearing about this.
  • lastdayx52lastdayx52 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    Upon research, both colleges are ~$30,000. So I'll be paying ~$10,000 for NYU-Poly, and ~$25,000 for Stevens.

Is it worth paying ~$15,000+ for Stevens? If I do go to Stevens, I'll be doing the Co-Op program which gives me paying jobs, and builds up my resume. I also know NYU-Poly has paid internships as well, so... Its a hard decision.

I like both schools, I like both environments (albeit totally different)... WHY CAN'T I JUST GO TO BOTH AND PAY ~$10,000! =P

*EDIT* Upon further investigation, I can estimate that FAFSA will give me $5,000-$10,000 loan, so I'll be essentially going to NYU-Poly for "free".
  • ken285ken285 Posts: 3,883Registered User Senior Member
    If this is the same community orchestra that I'm thinking of and the one that was around when I was in school, then it isn't limited to NYU students.
    "If this is the same community orchestra that I'm thinking of and the one that was around when I was in school, then it isn't limited to NYU students."

Yea anyone can audition. However, the commute from NYU-Poly is far easier then Stevens to the practice area once every week. The main concern here is the cost. Is it worth paying ~$15,000 more for Stevens over NYU?
  • ken285ken285 Posts: 3,883Registered User Senior Member
    I've met very few Poly students that actually like their school. Most complain about the workload and the lack of a community. It's mainly a commuter school.

You'll learn what you need to learn at both schools, but I think it's the non-academic aspects that will be the determining factor.
    "I've met very few Poly students that actually like their school. Most complain about the workload and the lack of a community. It's mainly a commuter school.

You'll learn what you need to learn at both schools, but I think it's the non-academic aspects that will be the determining factor."

I mean the only thing that matters about College is of the opposite sex... right? And both schools have less then 1:1 ratio between guys and girls (isn't it like 20% female? Q.Q).