Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Cuomo Proposes Free Tuition at New York State Colleges for Eligible Students

sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,713 Super Moderator
ALBANY — Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced a plan Tuesday morning to offer free tuition at state colleges to hundreds of thousands of middle- and low-income New Yorkers, seizing on a popular liberal talking point on the eve of national Republican ascension.

Under the governor’s plan, any college student who has been accepted to a state or city university in New York — including two-year community colleges — will be eligible provided they or their family earn $125,000 or less annually.

If the plan is approved, the Cuomo administration estimates the program would allow nearly a million New York families with college-age children, or independent adults, to qualify. The estimated costs of the program, when fully put in place in 2019, would be $163 million, though the administration acknowledges that estimate could be too low — or too high — depending on participation

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/nyregion/free-tuition-new-york-colleges-plan.html

Replies to: Cuomo Proposes Free Tuition at New York State Colleges for Eligible Students

• sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,713 Super Moderator
    Application will be available on June 7, 2017
  • baker101460baker101460 Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    i will be one of the first ones to apply, i heard the application will be available on 6/7, but, i also heard late may as well.

we will see....
  • ThegirlinredThegirlinred Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    This is wonderful.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,752 Senior Member
    @sybbie719, I read the regulation, but please clarify. Students are required to take 30 credits per year and all of them have to count toward the degree? If they take 12 credits each in the fall and spring, can they take 3 each in the summer and winter? If so, will the tuition for summer and winter be covered or do parents have to pay out-of-pocket?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,083 Senior Member
    Yes winter and summer 'count' in the 30 credits.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,752 Senior Member
    @sybbie719, @MYOS1634

I need some help understanding the rules for upperclassmen to qualify for this grant. My son is a rising junior. His college's suggested 8-semester plan doesn't have 30 credits per year (which is required by the Excelsior Scholarship). The first two semesters had 14 each, which he took. The 3rd had 15, which he registered for, but he switched one 3-credit class to pass/fail fue to a personal issue (a close friend contemplating suicide) and missed the minimum grade by 3 points. He took 15 this spring, so he has 28 from the 1st year and 27 from the 2nd (55 total).

If he takes 6 credits this summer, they should count toward the 60 he needs to qualify because he started school in the fall. But do they have to count toward his major? He's been combining requirements to cut down on the total number of courses he needs (ex. his writing intensive also counted as a history), so if he takes 6 required credits now he may not have enough to qualify later.

If he takes 15 credits per semester, do they all have to count toward what he needs to graduate (major, electives, gen eds)? He's done with his electives and has 2 gen eds left to take. Most of his remaining courses are 4 credit tech type courses. His plan had been to take 3 of the 4 credit courses to be full-time for TAP and Pell and cross register at a local private college for a 3-credit course, but the 3-credit course won't fit any requirements.

He'll have 120 credits when he finishes his major requirements, so he doesn't need extra courses. If he could take 12 credits in his major each semester plus any other a 3-credit course, he'll graduate on time. But unless he starts taking two 4-credit comp sci (lab) courses and two 4-credit science (lab) courses per semester, there's no combination of required courses that are a reasonable load and will count toward his degree. Does that mean we just won't qualify?
    I'll defer to Sybbie for accuracy. My understanding - and I may be wrong, because the devil is in the details.. hence the above - is that the 30 credits per year is so that students can graduate in 4 years, IE., 30*4=120. All credits count as long as they fit within these parameters, so that your son's plan would work.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,713 Super Moderator
    FAQs from HESC
    HESC wrote:

Can I get an award if I'm currently going to a public college?
    Yes. Students who are currently attending college are eligible to receive an award, provided they are currently on track to complete their degree on time.

https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid/nys-grants-scholarships-awards/the-excelsior-scholarship.html

As long as your son is on track to graduate in 4 years, he should have no problem. He should definitely see is counselor/adviser regarding recommendations for summer course.
  • NASA2014NASA2014 Registered User Posts: 1,923 Senior Member
    Will they email you if you are qualify for the scholarship? In other words, will they email you if you got the scholarship
    If you've ever taken a semester off or less than 30 credit a year, you are automatically disqualified. Not everybody has the luxury to just focus on school and certain life events may require you to take a semester off.
    not "ever", real-life events are taken into account (illness, pregnancy...)
    But yes you have to take 15 credits per semester since that's the minimum you need to take if you want to graduate in ' years.
  • PCollinsPCollins Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My son just graduated from high school on 6/25/17, he will be attending New England College this fall will he eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship?
    No, excelsior scholarship is only for NEW YORK Schools
    edited July 2
    a quick question: does the 30 credit per year requirement applies to those with disabilities? how do they calculate that if you took time off due to disability? i have a disability and have taken classes on and off on a part-time basis since 1995, skipping a semester or more during this time...
    edited July 9
    NASA2014:

i talked about this with ny higher education services and they said that emails will go out when they finish processing your application, so make sure your email address is current. sometimes it might show up as spam so look there as well on a regular basis (they seem to be backed up with applications at the present moment but keep checking in any case).