Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

FAFSA troubles with parental information and documentation

Replies to: FAFSA troubles with parental information and documentation

• mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,201 Senior Member
    Europe might be low cost or free for tuition, but health insurance, housing and living expenses are still going to be a lot of money.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,922 Senior Member
    I was not suggesting you siblings help pay for your college. I wondered if they might help in terms of dealing with your dad on this issue.
  • marvun22marvun22 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    mommdc
    If by NMF, you mean National Merit Finalist, then no I was not. Not even a semifinalist.
    And for UAH this year, that wouldn't even be an improvement. I'd get the full tuition, but room, board, and other expenses still total about 17,000.
    And that'd make sense for the European colleges.

thumper1
    I will ask, but most of them went through the same problem. Except for them, the taxes needed were completed.

My dad is currently not home right now. He will be back later today. The fafsa will not give me enough loans to cover the whole year for college with the information that I have. When he gets back, I will have to simply inform him that he either will have to cosign on a loan or I will be unable to attend college this year. Whatever happens happens I guess. Even if I'm not able to attend college for a year or more, maybe that'll light a fire under him and my younger sister won't have to go through the same issues.

Although I'm still holding out a little hope for a cosigned loan. I mean the money is not due right away, so maybe it can happen.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 24,866 Senior Member
    Are you a North Dakota resident? Then UND is an excellent option provided the money can be sorted out. Ask UND if your scholarship can be held for you if you need to take a year off to pull the money together. One UND pre-med I know picked up a nurses aid certificate either in high school or the summer after (not a college credit program), and has been working part-time at Altru in Grand Forks while studying at UND.

Are you committed to on-campus housing right now? Some money can be saved by living off campus in Grand Forks or East Grand Forks, and a car is not absolutely necessary (but does make life a lot easier). The buses are free for students, and the routes go wherever you would need to go, but they don't run as often as in other cities. I know people there who ride bicycles except in the very worst of the winter.
  • marvun22marvun22 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    happymomof1
    Definitely. There is a reason I chose UND. It's a very good college. I am a North Dakota resident.
    I am committed to living on-campus, mainly because it is required for me. I live on the western half of North Dakota. And first years are required to live on campus unless they have parents in the area.

Thanks for the advice!
    @kelsmom

Help me out with this. If the students parents REFUSE to do a FAFSA, are willing to NOT provide any support, and are willing not to declare this student as a tax dependent...and agree to these provisions...can't the student submit the fafsa and get the Direct Loan ONLY in the amount an independent student would receive?

$9500 for freshman year?
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Financial aid officers have quite a bit of leeway to do things under professional judgment. I don't think they make students independent when there is contact between the parent and student, but maybe they could approve a loan.

@AroundHere no...the student would NOT be declared independent...but I do think there is something about parents who refuse to do the fafsa...but also agree not to provide any support...

@kelsmom??
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,081 Senior Member
    I would contact UAH and ask.

However, really, I think a gap year is best because I think he'd do better at a flagship or similar school or private.

>>>The fact that I may have to give up my dream is devastating. And I know "it's only a gap year," but, especially around here, I have heard of and even know people who took what started off as a gap year only for that gap year to signal the end of their education. I know my dad may get his financials in order, but it's just as likely that he doesn't. The fact that I'm being held back by forces beyond my control is something that I am just struggling to deal with.
    <<<<

I think you missed the point about older siblings helping. I was asking if your older siblings could help dad file his taxes. Maybe the oldest sister who lives at home can help dad with that chore. Or she could help dad with some other responsibility to free up time for your dad to file.

Yes, it's possible that your dad won't get his act together next year either. That's another reason to do a gap year and apply to schools that will give you HUGE merit. With huge merit AND a contribution from your dad (which you mentioned that he can help you next year with costs), you'll be able to go to college.

I don't think that for YOU, a gap year would be the end of your education. Your gap year would not be for maturity reasons or because you'd never have the means to cover costs.

More non-soliticited advice....if your dad has good insurance, I suggest that the four of you living in the household, dad, oldest sis, baby sis, and you get into some sort of family counseling. It could likely lead to individual counseling for dad and oldest sis, who seem to be depressed.

You have a large family, 5 children, correct? You have four sisters. The more we learn about the family, the more I'm seeing that mom likely was the glue, and the center of the family. Obviously, her devastating stroke has "injured" more than just her. Your younger sibling may be doing super well in school, but she essentially lost her mom before she was a teenager. Oldest sister seems to be lost. Dad needs help.

Does your dad have good health insurance? If so, treatment for depression is likely covered.

• sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,411 Super Moderator
    edited July 16
    @thumper1, Kelmom answered the question in post 5.

Op will not be eligible for loans if dad does not file the FAFSA.

@AroundHere, student has no grounds for professional judgement or dependency override.

Professional Judgment refers to the authority of a school's financial aid administrator to make adjustments to the data elements on the FAFSA and to override a student's dependency status. (There is no FAFSA being file.

OP is also not eligible for a dependency override.

the following circumstances do not merit a dependency override, either alone or in combination:

Parents refuse to contribute to the student's education;
    Parents are unwilling to provide information on the application or for verification;
    Parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes;
    Student demonstrates total self-sufficiency.
    Note that all of these circumstances are largely discretionary in nature. A student cannot become independent just because the parents are unwilling to help pay for the student's college education.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 503 Member
    I'm wondering if there is a trusted friend of the family or pastor/church friend or the like who could step in to help the dad complete his taxes and the fafsa.

OP, has your family been part of a group in the community where someone would be willing to help? Is their a trusted friend, neighbor, church or spiritual leader you can ask for help in connecting with the right person?

I just know at the churches and even the neighborhoods where we we've lived there's always an accountant that people recommend. With the right help, this problem might be able to be solved in a day. There are good people out there who could help, I think.

I agree that the dad and older sister are overcome with grief and depression, and all are in need of counseling. I think the OP might not be fully understanding that dad and sister are not fully functioning now due to grief and not for lack of wanting to help. Counseling might help those preserve those relationships.

edited July 16
    Op will not be eligible for loans if dad does not file the FAFSA.

Unless the parent certifies that he or she is NOT providing ANY support. If that is the case, the student can get $5500 in unsubsidized loans.

That's what @kelsmom said in post 5...which I missed the first time around.

But really given the circumstances presented here...it's not likely that the dad would say he isn't providing any support.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,201 Senior Member
    You have those great stats. Don't start college and then have to drop out because of lack of funds.

Take this year to work, and help your dad deal with things, and reapply to schools that will give you the merit you need to be able to afford to go to college.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,081 Senior Member
    @marvun22

<<<
    And for UAH this year, that wouldn't even be an improvement. I'd get the full tuition, but room, board, and other expenses still total about 17,000.
    <<<

Not necessarily. As a last ditch effort to go THIS year, send in an app and contact the school. A 1510 will likely get some other awards stacked on top, particularly from eng'g, but maybe also from the school.