Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

"Special skills" Section

CameronSeibCameronSeib Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2010 in Georgetown University
After you list your extracurricular activities, the application gives you some room to talk about a special talent or skill that you possess. I assumed this to be stuff like musical talent, acting talent, technological talent, etc.

Knowing this, I could not think of anything to put in the area for myself? Did everyone else use up the area? If so, what did you put in there?
Post edited by CameronSeib on

Replies to: "Special skills" Section

• michaelungerrrmichaelungerrr Posts: 448Registered User Member
    I saw this as kind of a fun personality section on the application, hobbies per say? I can't remember exactly what I put but I remember saying I was into foreign foods and cooking vegetarian dishes? haha
  • dancer4collegedancer4college Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    Do you think this would be a good place to put things like National Merit Semi-finalist or AP Scholars w/ Distinction? There's really no where else to put things like that.
  • michaelungerrrmichaelungerrr Posts: 448Registered User Member
    Are those things talents/skills? No...theyre unoriginal, you just worked harder than others to do better on exams etc. Be creative with it.
  • SFShoyaSFShoya Posts: 134Registered User Junior Member
    @dancer, Georgetown is fine with submitting a resume with that kind of stuff. Use the special skills section for something more fun or personal that would be out of place on a resume.
  • DorkoaDorkoa Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
    I had this same question as i was filling out the app
    would me being good at Tae Kwon Do (12 years competetive) be the type of thing theyre looking for?
    i also play ultimate frisbee and Jazz guitar would those be good to mention?
    or would it be repetitve since theyre on my activities list?
  • UVAorBustUVAorBust Posts: 2,504Registered User Senior Member
    I plan on writing about my passoin for all different types of food :O
  • chicagograd2011chicagograd2011 Posts: 98Registered User Junior Member
    So, would enjoying creative writing and showing some (but somewhat limited :) ) talent for it be something to put there?
  • CameronSeibCameronSeib Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    I talked to the Admissions Office. The guy there said it's an area to expand upon your awards/positions if you didn't have enough room in the activities section. And after that, you can mention any little thing that is unique about you, significant or not.

So I first wrote out the awards I had received in my extracurricular activities that I couldn't fit up top. And then I wrote out three sentences about unique hobbies I have.