Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Pre-Calc or Prob&Stat?

clemxensclemxens Posts: 72Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2012 in High School Life
I'm a senior starting Tuesday and only have a few more hours to make this decision...

As a person that struggles with math (more than any other class), should I take Pre-Calculus or Probability & Statistics my senior year?

I've taken Algebra 1 & 2 and Geometry so far and did pretty horribly in Algebra 1 and got a B in Geometry and Algebra 2. If it matters, I liked Geometry more than Algebra.

The same person teaches both courses at my school, and he's a great teacher, so I'm not worried about being taught inadequately.

Not only is my question "Which one is easier?" but also "Which looks better to colleges?" I think it's worth noting that the Prob & Stat class is considered Dual Enrollment (which I would get the credits for), while Pre-Calc is not.

Please give me your opinions - I wouldn't ask if I didn't need help!
Post edited by clemxens on

Replies to: Pre-Calc or Prob&Stat?

• 5am69965am6996 Posts: 243Registered User Junior Member
    From what I've heard, Pre-calc is fairly straight forward but might be a bit more complex than Probability and Stats. If algebra isn't your forte, don't take pre calc. It's entirely based on algebra and functions. So I guess you'd be better off with Probability. I'm not entirely sure what it consists of but probably has less algebra than pre calculus. Good luck!
  • StoicMindStoicMind Posts: 38Registered User Junior Member
    I took Ap stat last year and am taking Pre- Calc (Math Analysis) this year (My junior year), then AP Calc next year. If you struggled with Algebra 1 or 2 your best bet is Ap stats, its not algebra intensive and has a very real world application that makes it easier to understand. It really depends on what you want to do with your life, when I asked for AP statistics as a class, i hadn't realized my interest in Structural Engineering and AP stat is somewhat irrelevant to the topic, so I wasted a year on a class that wasn't conducive to my potential major. If it doesn't matter I would say go for Ap Stat it's pretty much arithmetic and logic, easy Ap course, with a weighted grade to boost your GPA and the AP exam is pretty easy I got a 3/5 on it last year, and a B in the class and I barely did any work to be honest.