Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

texaspgtexaspg Super Moderator Posts: 16,581 Super Moderator
edited April 2016 in Multiple Degree Programs
This is a placeholder for discussions related to BS/MD applications for 2017

Courtesy @Roentgen

Questions you should think about for medical school selection

https://dornsife.usc.edu/assets/sites/1/docs/advising/prehealth/New_Logo-35_Questions.pdf

Post edited by texaspg on

Replies to: ***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

• srk2017srk2017 Registered User Posts: 1,736 Senior Member
    Thanks for starting the thread. We will be participating in the discussions :-)
  • babySimba1babySimba1 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Do BS MD programs look at how many times you took ACT ?
  • RoentgenRoentgen Registered User Posts: 1,470 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Aww, thank you @texaspg for the shoutout! I'll also try to come up with some new posts that I think will help the Bachelor/MD applicant population.

Ideas that I have currently in mind:
    1. Current Bachelor/MD program listings along with their program websites so that it's easily accesible.
    2. A listing of hardcopy books on Amazon that relate to how to build up an application for applying to Bachelor/MD programs
    3. Aspects to look at on how to properly evaluate a program/medical school for your purposes, which would be especially helpful for those who are lucky enough to have several acceptances
    4. How to properly evaluate a residency match list(s) for a school - for novices, nothing way too advanced etc.
    These are just some of the ideas that I can think of off the top of my head just now, I'm sure there are more topics, which I am open to which might be helpful. Maybe those posts can then either be pinned to the top or made into one featured thread(s) so that new members can see it so it doesn't get lost in terms of the order of the thread. I know there are some students and parents here who are starting looking at these programs from the very beginning of freshman year, although that's not at all necessary (God Bless you guys who do though!) as well as those who just want guidance when it comes to specific areas of interest.

Luckily there's not as much of a time crunch now, since the school year is coming to an end, so I have some time to be able to write it and polish it up.
  • texaspgtexaspg Super Moderator Posts: 16,581 Super Moderator
  • RoentgenRoentgen Registered User Posts: 1,470 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    @texaspg, I know there is this from Dr. Rubin:
    http://www.minimedicalschool.com/BA_MD_programs.html, that's already posted there, and he tends to do a good job when it comes to updating (i.e. when certain Bachelor/MD programs close down or new ones are created -- if people email to let him know and he updates it).

One that I look at which is very neat and organized is from Ivy Planners: http://www.ivyplanners.com/documents/BS-MD-IvyPlanners.pdf

One all-comprehensive list would be better I think so people don't have to look at so many posts/list. For the sake of less confusion, I'll leave out the Early Assurance programs that recruit more from college sophomores/juniors, unless people think that might be helpful also. If needed, that can be a completely separate list. I'll see what works once I go thru what's already there and see if there are any programs that are "missing".
  • fhgeogngfhgeogng Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    What are common interview questions for BSMD interviews?
  • kkfieldskkfields Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    Does anyone know where I can find information on the breakdown of the total number of ba/bs/md applicants as a group?
  • rokun123rokun123 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Which schools do not have academic pre-requisites?

My numeric weighted gpa is 95.5 (we run on 100 scale). My unweighted average is about an 89.

My SAT superscore is 2110 (750 Math, 650 Reading, 710 Writing)
    My ACT is 30 (I am retaking).
    I am taking SAT Math 2, Biology E/M, and Chemistry this June.

Which schools would I pass the academic requirement?

• JoobycoobyJoobycooby Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    @rokun123 I'm not sure which schools do not have academic pre-reqs but unfortunately, I think that your stats may put you out of the running for many of the programs. I would aim at getting your test scores up since GPA is much harder to change.
  • chesscrazychesscrazy Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    butterfli123 , I am new to this forum. I am an 2017 applicant from CT researching BSMD programs around the east coast. I would be grateful if you can share your interview process.
    Thanks.
  • chesscrazychesscrazy Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    can any one please post BSMD interview process from the past experience. I saw a posting from an applicant's mom about her daughter's experience from all the colleges where she had been interviewed. Not able to find it any more. Can you please link it to this same thread please...
  • SonOfAbrahamSonOfAbraham Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
    Hey everyone,

I am thinking of applying to UConn's BS/MD program. I won't post my stats yet but I do have one question.

UConn's program is 8 years, but is there any way I could graduate 1/2 year early (through APs) so I would have some more time between college and med school?
  • WhatSallyWhatSally Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    @Roentgen @GoldenRock @texaspg or anyone who is still here from past years - do bsmd programs ask for 1st semester senior grades or quarter grades? If yes - which ones?