Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best university jazz programs

-Allmusic--Allmusic- Posts: 6,350Registered User Senior Member
edited December 2013 in Music Major
Can you list them?

Does anyone know the quality of Peabody's jazz program?

Are jazz programs less competitive by admissions/auditions standards than classical performance programs?

(I'm new at this, and probably too full of questions! Sorry!)
Post edited by -Allmusic- on

Replies to: Best university jazz programs

• hazmathazmat Posts: 8,435User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
  • violinmomviolinmom Posts: 191Registered User Junior Member
    University of North Texas is ranked No. 1 in the country, I believe.
  • hazmathazmat Posts: 8,435User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    wow.......you have knowledge that I have NEVER heard. Juilliard and Lincoln Center Jazz would be my other choice.....http://www.juilliard.edu/college/music/jazz.html

You weren't too specific about what you are looking for. Composition, Performance, Music Business, Recording...........there is a lot to consider. What instrument might play into your choice of school also.
  • mommabmommab Posts: 117Registered User Junior Member
    From the University of North Texas website:
    <Established in 1947, UNT’s jazz studies program in the College of Music is a long-standing college jazz program and is widely regarded as the most respected. America’s Best Graduate Schools, published annually by U.S. News and World Report, has ranked the UNT jazz studies program No. 1 every year since 1994 when it began ranking graduate jazz programs.>

I second violinmom's recommendation. Son has 3 or 4 friends at UNT, both grad and undergrad, who are all very happy. I think I remember someone on CC who had visited remarking about the great facilities there, too.
    If you are accepted to UNT and are awarded a scholarship of some kind, then you are eligible to attend paying in-state tuition, even if you are not a Texas resident. Pretty cool! My son auditioned as violin major. I have no knowledge of how difficult it is to be accepted as a jazz performance major, but it must be pretty competitive. It is a huge music school -- around 1,600 music majors.
  • -Allmusic--Allmusic- Posts: 6,350Registered User Senior Member
    Can't see this kid going to Texas, but I will surely make sure he gets information! Thanks!

Any east coast state schools with good jazz programs?
    Yes, Texas is different. One thing to keep in mind, though, is if they are performance majors, they are so busy with practicing, rehersaing and performing -- not to mention theory classes, secondary instruments, etc etc, I really don't think it matters TOO much where in the heck they are. At least UNT is close to Dallas (45 minutes) and there's the Dallas Symphony and lots of other top-notch groups. And at least the weather during the winter is warmer for outdoor fun, if they ever get a spare moment. I don't know much about jazz programs elsewhere. Bet there's plenty of great programs on the East coast. Good luck!
  • dudedaddudedad Posts: 1,921Registered User Senior Member
    Penn State and Maryland are good.

www.valleyjazz.org a little of the State College scene

www.iaje.org Jazz Educators Association
  • spelmomspelmom Posts: 130Registered User Junior Member
    The program at Northern Illinois University is excellent. DeKalb isn't so great, but it is about an hour out of Chicago.
  • PamPam Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    Temple has a very good jazz program.
  • musicmommusicmom Posts: 2,229Registered User Senior Member
    William Paterson University in New Jersey.

http://www.wpunj.edu/coac/music/programs/jazz.html
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 32,633Registered User Senior Member
    University of North Texas. DS was accepted there, and we toured the place. The music facilities are OUTSTANDING...amongst the best we saw. Their jazz bands are very very highly regarded and the program is quite competitive.
  • BassDadBassDad Posts: 5,381Registered User Senior Member
    Rutgers and U Mass Amherst have good Jazz programs too.
  • ThespianDreamsThespianDreams Posts: 152Registered User Junior Member
    University of Miami
  • camper89camper89 Posts: 334Registered User Member
    UNT in Denton,TX. If youve got any questions about UNT, pm me, its right up the road in the county seat of my county.