Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Anyone else feel like it's time to tell expensive colleges "ENOUGH!" (CC Newbie Rant)

rwmannesqrwmannesq Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
Been thinking about the LMU visit and can't stop remembering how much it felt like a sales pitch. Mostly, because it was a sales pitch! But I'm NOT sold.

I want my S18 to have a great education and I can pretty easily afford it without dipping into my retirement, etc. But I haven't always had money and I remember what it's like to live check-to-check and barely scrape by. And I still try to get the best prices for any travel, major purchases, etc. since those types of life skills don't just go away. But, why in the hell is college so expensive and getting more so despite major educational loan repayment problems?

It seems to me that a lot of the problem is the super-competitive and over-scheduled kids coming out these days. What happened to flying a freakin kite or riding your bike around the neighborhood until the street lights came on? Getting your license and cruising during the weekend all night with your friends? You remember, wasting time to a point you were actually ready to go back to school at the end of summer?

Are we, the parents, responsible for creating the appetite for these schools such that they can charge whatever in the heck they want? Are we pushing our kids too hard? Expecting too much? Why?

If the college is going to cost $250,000+ for 4 years, why aren't we just setting our kids up in a business. Does anybody else out there really think this is a sound investment? It definitely seems like what is required for our kids to move on to a reasonable career and financial security, but is it logical? Really? The price of an actual business! Think about what an annuity funded with a quarter million dollars would pay and how that'd supplement a "normal" job.

So, "NO," the sales pitch is sounding pretty damn hollow to me.

I'm relatively new to CC and suspect this post has been done previously to death, but I still feel like a lost voice in the CC community?

To quote Pink Floyd: "Is there anybody out there?"
:-q

Replies to: Anyone else feel like it's time to tell expensive colleges "ENOUGH!" (CC Newbie Rant)

• astute12astute12 Registered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
    LOL I hear ya!!!
  • rwmannesqrwmannesq Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    any relation?
  • prof2dadprof2dad Registered User Posts: 632 Member
    Is Harvard expensive?

It is expensive for upper-middle income families, but it is dirt cheap for low income families.

So is Harvard an expensive college or a cheap college?
  • Sportsman88Sportsman88 Registered User Posts: 1,247 Senior Member
    OK, what is LMU? Sorry if that's a common acronym I missed.

@roethlisburger summarized much of the discussion but I'll add one aspect. Anyone paying full freight at a private is in a high income bracket and thus $250,000 total bill has a different dimension than it does to the average joe.

Anyone paying $60,000 to go to a UC out of state can't do math or has money to burn.

The rest pay somewhere in between. There is a strong argument to take the merit aid and honors college at the state flagship for the top students but the financial aid may be enough at a top school to come out of pocket for some figure.

• AboutTheSameAboutTheSame Registered User Posts: 2,485 Senior Member
    LMU probably means Loyola Marymount. Can't think of another one that the acronym would fit.
    Sorry guys. Yep, Loyola Marymount in LA. Just did a tour and wrote about it in another thread re avg hs students 2018. Basic middle of the row University charging what the top dogs charge. Why? that's what got me going.
    I'm actually wondering if somehow our pushing our kids is enabling the 2nd, 3rd etc tiered schools to charge so much. I get the whole Ivy, high ranked thing.
  • Astro77Astro77 Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    I've thought of that. Maybe it would be better to buy the kid a house (which you can do for $259k in many parts if this country).