Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

AP credit affect GPA?

CC ArticlesCC Articles Posts: 32,180- Senior Member
If you get AP credit, how will this affect your GPA? Is it considered an "A"?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Replies to: AP credit affect GPA?

• donmeswdonmesw Posts: 194Registered User Junior Member
    No, usually it doesn't count toward your GPA.
  • tanmantanman Posts: 2,645Registered User Senior Member
    It varies from college to college. Some schools will only use AP scores for placement, others will give you credit and some will even give you grades depending on your score.
  • mysticmystic Posts: 194Registered User Junior Member
    in my district, AP points add 2 weighted points for an A and a B.. meaning an A is worth 6 GPA points ... if you get all A's on all AP classes your senior yr, yor GPA for that YEAR, is a 6.0
  • fried_taterfried_tater Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    in my school, ap classes are counted just like regular classes. so if u make a 70, it is averaged in as a 70 and then your gpa is calculated. in all of our ap courses, we get a 5% grade curve each semester, except for ap biology where we get a 5 point grade curve each semester.
  • RikatakaRikataka Posts: 810Registered User Member
    i think the op means if you get a 5 on ap bio, for example, does that boost your final grade in that class at all? at my school, it doesn't.
  • Paco de LuciaPaco de Lucia Posts: 158Registered User Junior Member
    AP Credit meant nothing in terms of boosting GPAs...it was treated the same way. And getting high grades didn't change the grade in school, because we got our AP grades during summer.