Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Class of 2022 (sharing, discussing, application and audition season)

Replies to: Class of 2022 (sharing, discussing, application and audition season)

• marg928marg928 Registered User Posts: 1,008 Senior Member
    Regarding visits what I regret was not doing a bunch of visits during Easter break of junior year. I had planned a vacation for that week so far ahead and wasn't thinking along those lines at the time. Although our trip was to Sedona and we did drive through the campus of Arizona State so I guess that counts!
    edited June 13
    @Twoboysandadog after 23 applications and around 14 in person auditions with five BFA offers my D ended up at a BA. Is Loyola Marymount on his list? Their film school is one of the top in the country and the theatre program is very flexible. And being on top of a bluff in LA near Venice Beach doesn't suck either!
  • artskidsartskids Registered User Posts: 788 Member
    I agree @DoinResearch! We are also planning a few summer visits - generally in or near cities we are visiting for other reasons. We visited all of my S campuses the year he applied; we visited only 2 of my D's (although she had been to a few others when my S was applying). We then visited schools for my D that she had not seen if she was either admitted or placed on a waitlist. It made for a REALLY crazy late March and April. It makes being in the last spring shows tough depending on your school's schedule. I will say my D viewed schools and programs with a much more critical eye post-admittance/waitlist than she had during general or audition visits. She really honed her questions and paid close attention to the feel of the program, the students and the teachers.
  • TwoboysandadogTwoboysandadog Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    @marg928 Yes, Loyola Marymount is on his list, and he's planning to do early action for either theatre or screenwriting. I'm sure your daughter will love it there!
  • ginaf1102ginaf1102 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Thank you so much for all of your kindness. I like the idea of combined college visit/vacation. Good idea. MTCA did have a ton of good advice (from this newbie's perspective). So I guess it is now or never for the visits - except for some of the on campus auditions. And I am so embarrassed about BAL - you'd think I would figure that one out! @Jkellynh17 Hi! Come on down to the Berkshires! We have lots of great shows this season - and Aaron Tveit in Company! And thank you @toowonderful - you are so right. She actually did a production of The Tempest and the director somehow included my D singing A Thousand Years. She will sing - it's in her blood.
    Do you all have children that have gone through the college audition process already? You all seem so knowledgable.
    @ginaf1102 I am on my third going through the process!
  • DoinResearchDoinResearch Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    @artskids I have found the learning curve quite difficult. I find I cannot really draw from my personal experience from '83, and not being a Theater Person just really intensifies the difficult learning curve. I am so grateful for this community, I have learned so much.
    @DoinResearch it's a tough process on the entire family. There are many, many gracious people on the boards who return to give advice - you will be well guided :-)
  • toowonderfultoowonderful Registered User Posts: 3,420 Senior Member
    @ginaf1102 - my D is heading into her senior year at NYU
    @Twoboysandadog LMU has an early deadline for their theater application. It was due November 1st so they really don't have Early Action per se.
  • TwoboysandadogTwoboysandadog Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    @marg928 I guess it changed for next year because the theatre website indicates there is early action and regular decision. http://admission.lmu.edu/apply/auditionsportfolios/theatreaudition/
  • FourStarsFourStars Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    @bfahopeful Wow, that is quite an impressive background. I keep talking to my D about UNCSA, because I hear only wonderful things about it. What is everyone's recommendation on visiting Theater schools? I think I will post that question...
  • FourStarsFourStars Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    What do you recommend in terms of trying to visit Theater programs? We live in NJ, and my D is going to RADA in London for five weeks this summer. She has only seen the Boston schools so far (BoCo, BU, Emerson). But for places like UNCSA, Guthrie, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, what do you do? It is so far. Do you wait and see if they get in before visiting? I can make a FEW trips happen, meaning time/money wise we can visit a few, or make a point of auditioning on campus.
  • bfahopefulbfahopeful Registered User Posts: 885 Member
    edited June 25
    @FourStars different types of visits work for different kids (meaning before or after applying or accepted).

My daughter visited "types" of schools (university, small school, conservatory, urban) with her high school and had an idea of what she was interested in. Due to admissions for BFA being so selective, we decided to wait and visit after any admission came in. Along the way she saw a couple campuses during unifieds as they were local and another for a call back weekend. UNCSA had become her top choice after unifieds and they did an accepted drama student weekend which solidified it and she didn't visit others. Had she not liked UNCSA she would have visited her next 1-2 top choices she was admitted to. We couldn't visit schools all over the country before hand. We also have heard not to visit and fall in love with a program that is audition based as that can mess with you if not admitted/called back. Basically my D went for a type of program and really took advantage of auditions to get a feel for faculty and any students there. She did a lot of research about curriculum and such. She used program "type" to narrow her search and not location or size of school. But those can be search factors for many kids.

By the way, my D almost didn't apply to UNCSA as she had NO interest in being in the south. She is a liberal city type of girl. But she fell in love with it.

It isn't where we thought she would go but she couldn't be happier. If you have specific questions about UNCSA message me. Happy to answer. Good luck in your search.