Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is FSU still a top training program?

mtdudemtdude Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
Is FSU still a top training program? I know it used to be, but recently not many people are interested in attending.. why is that? Does FSU have good acting teachers like Carnegie Mellon or Emerson? Students have grad students for voice.. how does that work? I know CCM and CMU kids are top because of the excellent faculty they have to study with for 4 solid years.. Are the faculty members keeping up with changes happening everyday in NY and addressing them and teaching students how to live as ARTISTS? I have not visited FSU before but would really like to if the school is as up to par with some of the other top programs? Can any students or grads or parents speak for this?
Post edited by mtdude on

Replies to: Is FSU still a top training program?

• bwaybbbwaybb Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I am curious about this also and would like to know more before applying. I wonder if their profile has fallen because they don't attend Chicago unifieds.
  • CoppeliaCoppelia Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    FSU has a fabulous small and individualized program with working alums. It was recently rated by World News and Report as one of the top in the country.
  • KarissaKarissa Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    FSU is definitely a top program! I think there is not as much buzz because almost everyone now attends the national unified auditions. FSU only auditions on campus, like Elon and Tallahassee can be difficult to get to, much like Elon. But their students come from all over the country, and even as far away as Canada.

Also, this past year they brought in alum Scott Hudson as a professor for acting.

"Scott has been named one of NYC’s “Top 5" acting coaches by Backstage."
  • RSP9404RSP9404 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    As a recently accepted student I can honestly say that the school and program at FSU is incredibly top notch. As Karissa stated, Tallahassee is difficult to get to, so many kids miss out on the opportunity to audition. However, it is a very small and individualized program with a class of 8-10. Many of the graduates are working professionals, including Montego Glover (Memphis, Tony Nominee), Heather Parcells (A Chorus Line, Wonderland), Kevin Covert (Memphis, How to Succeed), Joey Haro (West Side Story), Jessica Patty (Addams Family, A Chorus Line, UPCOMING Evita), Emily Fletcher (A Chorus Line, 42nd Street, Chicago), Leslie Donna Flesner (Finian's Rainbow, Follies) and more. What really seems to set FSU students apart is the wonderful singing and dance training they receive. All graduates come out as phenomenal dancers and well-trained singers. Thus, they are cast in many Broadway shows and national tours. If you were questioning whether or not to take the trip down to Tallahassee to audition, do not hesitate!
  • 123456s123456s Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    FSU focuses its time and energy on training artists within the program - appropriately so - and not on self-promotion of the program. So no you're not going to see them all over the web or at unifieds... because they'd rather be busy at school teaching, or, yes, in NY doing workshops and festivals to keep up to date with the business. I think the above alumni list speaks for itself - It doesn't, however, include the countless students on national tours - West Side, In the Heights, Fiddler, Cats, Producers, Beauty and the Beast, Shrek, Jersey Boys, Chorus Line, Hairspray
  • mtdog71mtdog71 Posts: 498Registered User Member
    FSU is a very good program - you can definetly get the goods there - they have been hurt a bit by Florida education cut-backs - but the staff there are dedicated and make due as necessary. It is a good choice.
  • NccpdadNccpdad Posts: 86Registered User Junior Member
    Absolutely!!! Excellent training, small program, and working alumni.