right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Amherst chances?

jd1456jd1456 6 replies6 threads New Member
Unweighted GPA: 3.8
Weighted GPA: 4.3
SAT: 1390 (650 Math, 740 Verbal) single sitting. I am retaking in August.
Class Rank: 48/ 490

I am currently going into my senior year in the IB program. My ECs include:
Board Member for Interact (service club, extension of Rotary), National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society), volunteering once a week at a local children hospital (60 hours), and over 200 hours of volunteering at a local food shelter. I have been apart of other clubs but in a less serious way. I plan to join more this next year.

My family has a deep history at Amherst, including my brother and grandfather going, but I'm not sure if that will really be a factor since neither of them donate to the college.

My GPA has trended upward since freshman year, where I had a 3.2 first semester. Since then I have received almost all A's.

Even though I am in the IB program, my school required I take the AP English Language and Composition with no actual class to prepare. I received a 3 on the exam.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Amherst chances?

• DreamforIvyDreamforIvy 480 replies37 threads Member
    Hello! I will be attending Amherst a freshman in the fall, so I will try my best to give a chance:) I believe your stats are pretty great, but just keep working hard through senior year and focus on those essays! Your legacy will be a boost, and if you're a URM, then that'll give you even more of a boost. Good luck with your college process, and I hope you get in!
    · Reply · Share
  • glittervineglittervine 210 replies9 threads Junior Member
    Being a legacy is a factor, regardless of whether your family donates or not. That will help. Your SAT is low, though, especially the math. Take a look at the admission statistics (https://www.amherst.edu/admission/apply/firstyear/enrollment) and see where you fit in after your retake.

Amherst uses a holistic approach, so work hard on your essays and get good recommendations.

Overall, it's definitely a reach for you, but it's a reach for everyone. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity