Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

self studying Bio

College-goerCollege-goer Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
edited August 2009 in AP Tests Preparation
Is it too much work? Does it require much more than preping for SATII bio? how long would it take?
Post edited by College-goer on

Replies to: self studying Bio

• GuiltyBystanderGuiltyBystander Registered User Posts: 1,586 Senior Member
    I self-studied Biology too last year, along with six other APs, unfortunately I got really sick during the APs so I couldn't do the first three (bio, calc and physics), but I did study well for bio, unfortunately no grade to back it up. Anyhow, I used an actual Bio book to study, not just an AP guide. Most APs are quite managable with just a guide, but I found that you'd either need a REALLY comprehensive guide for Biology or a textbook. The AP questions are pretty detailed, so I advice you to start well in advance! For example, I started with bio in.. februari I think. I'd advice you to do the same. It isn't an AP like World History or English comp, for which you can read through a guide the night before and still manage to score 5s (I wouldn't recommend this haha, but it worked for me!)

Good luck!
  • michaelwigginsmichaelwiggins Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    ^ Sorry no input but I just wanted to comment that AP World History covers 8000 years of history and is by no means an AP that you can study overnight and even get a 3. In fact, none of the histories are; they are solely memorization and crap load, at that.
  • S2madingS2S2madingS2 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Yeah but World History (and all the histories) are manageable with just the review book. You can read the review book and do practice tests and walk out with a 5. The other ones, not so much.
  • advanced Lawlzadvanced Lawlz - Posts: 679 Junior Member
    cliffs ap bio, all you need.
  • GuiltyBystanderGuiltyBystander Registered User Posts: 1,586 Senior Member
    I am sorry about the World History comment then, I thought, being an international student (English is my second language) and managing a 5 with just reading a guide the night before, would make it really easy for native speakers. But, as I said, I wouldn't advise it for Bio at all. Or for any AP really.
This discussion has been closed.